The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

I'm thinking about starting up a new social media site for rural interests, very similar to Facebook. The difference would be no pop ups, no data mining, etc.

It would be geared towards all rural interests: farming, gardening, food storage to name just a few. Family friendly fun and no politics.

The current plan is to build and launch it as a Winter project. Right now I'm figuring out a good name and gauging public interest across the country.

Whaddya think?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can't really say since I don't know what "killer friendly, anti-compassion" means. If it means you butcher your livestock, of course that can be discussed. Even animals raised for slaughter can be raised compassionately though.

On the site I operate now, different views are encouraged. The general rule I tell people is, "Don't be a jerk, we'll get along fine."

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,506 Posts
Can't really say since I don't know what "killer friendly, anti-compassion" means. If it means you butcher your livestock, of course that can be discussed. Even animals raised for slaughter can be raised compassionately though.

On the site I operate now, different views are encouraged. The general rule I tell people is, "Don't be a jerk, we'll get along fine."
I think the site would be a live and let live sort of opinion. Some may butcher, some may not -- no hate for EITHER decision. Abuse wouldn't be tolerated though, or gruesome purposeful offense to others would have to be moderated too. A farmer friendly atmosphere is what I'm getting from this :):) and if you don't like something somebody is posting, well then don't look at their stuff?

I love the idea. And I'd love to be a member.

No idea for a name, sorry. But I'd love to vote if you come up with a few options.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I would go for it as long as nobody tries to bring up politics or anything that could possibly offend someone. I want a fun place, not a criticizing place to be. I really do hope you do it though! Sounds like it would be really cool!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the site would be a live and let live sort of opinion. Some may butcher, some may not -- no hate for EITHER decision. Abuse wouldn't be tolerated though, or gruesome purposeful offense to others would have to be moderated too. A farmer friendly atmosphere is what I'm getting from this :):)
Exactly.

I've butchered some animals and kept more for pets. Farming and agriculture is a way of life... we can't live without it!

I want it to adhere to country living and values. Sharing recipes, discussing rural issues ( broadband access for example ), helping people get started with their own farm, whatever.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As for names, that's sometimes the hardest part of setting up a website! I've thought of over a dozen domain names and someone's beat me to them.

What I'm steering towards so far is:

Just Country
Rural Life
The Front Porch ( harkens the social aspect).

But I'm still thinking on it.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,506 Posts
Exactly.

I've butchered some animals and kept more for pets. Farming and agriculture is a way of life... we can't live without it!

I want it to adhere to country living and values. Sharing recipes, discussing rural issues ( broadband access for example ), helping people get started with their own farm, whatever.
Well I'd say we could live without butchering animals. But that is my opinion, and I shall keep it to myself.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,506 Posts
As for names, that's sometimes the hardest part of setting up a website! I've thought of over a dozen domain names and someone's beat me to them.

What I'm steering towards so far is:

Just Country
Rural Life
The Front Porch ( harkens the social aspect).

But I'm still thinking on it.
I like The Front Porch.:hubbahubba: Kinda sounds like a talk show haha.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Pics of butchering would actually be beneficial, imo, because many who would be interested in humane killing and butchering and identifying problems via post postmortems are currently stymied by having to pay vets and large callous slaughtering places to do this for them. So post postmortems aren't done because of expense or lack of vet access, and animals that could peacefully end their time with you are shipped to frightening, stressful environs to "meat" their ends. No fault to the kill center, it is what it is.

I'd suggest that pretending that meat is not the end of livestock that death is not the end of irresponsible breeding of dogs, does them harm, not good.

Also, that a "pet" home is the ultimate utopia is an horrendous lie.

I'm generally in favour, btw. I've ended my FB association all together.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would go for it as long as nobody tries to bring up politics or anything that could possibly offend someone. I want a fun place, not a criticizing place to be. I really do hope you do it though! Sounds like it would be really cool!
You need the right to "offend" someone, you dont need to attack or insult someone.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,506 Posts
Pics of butchering would actually be beneficial, imo, because many who would be interested in humane killing and butchering and identifying problems via post postmortems are currently stymied by having to pay vets and large callous slaughtering places to do this for them. So post postmortems aren't done because of expense or lack of vet access, and animals that could peacefully end their time with you are shipped to frightening, stressful environs to "meat" their ends. No fault to the kill center, it is what it is.

I'd suggest that pretending that meat is not the end of livestock that death is not the end of irresponsible breeding of dogs, does them harm, not good.

Also, that a "pet" home is the ultimate utopia is an horrendous lie.

I'm generally in favour, btw. I've ended my FB association all together.
I would say pictures of butchering are not a problem. Calling out people for not wanting to see them or butchering photos that are disrespectful such as a boastful trophy hunting photo would be shouldn't be allowed - however I agree some may appreciate the educational aspects of seeing photos of butchering.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree
I would say pictures of butchering are not a problem. Calling out people for not wanting to see them or butchering photos that are disrespectful such as a boastful trophy hunting photo would be shouldn't be allowed - however I agree some may appreciate the educational aspects of seeing photos of butchering.
I agree I learned to butcher off of YouTube videos, and it was pretty important to see the whole process, butchering can be taught without celebrating death.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm in complete agreement personally. I'd have to find a way to make sure it was presented tastefully though. I've seen people post stuff that made even me cringe. There's a good way to present suck seen topic, and another which only does more harm than good.

I'll have a better feel for how this can all be done once I get it set up. Right now I'm just a doing seen one research to see if there's enough interest to make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I hate, HATE, trophy photos. I don't hate hunters (I am one), even trophy hunters (I am not one), because they are still doing a service preventing animals from starving because we've needed to wipe out natural predators.

Posed trophy photos always make me feel like someone is thrusting hormone filled gonads at me though. Perhaps there could be a forum or page reserved for that??? So if we don't like we don't see? I don't know how platforms work and maybe that's not possible...

Not making demands, just giving my :2c:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd have to see what the software allows. But truth is, a kid posing with their first buck wouldnt be a problem as long as it's done tastefully.

I realize it's not all going to be everyone's cup of tea. Right now I just want to make sure it's worth spending the money for the program and the hosting.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts