New to Boer goats, looking for good guide to buying/raising

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by JB goats, Aug 9, 2017.

1. JB goats

JB goats New Member

Jan 11, 2011
    I am not sure I titled this correctly. Anyways, I have raised registered Alpine goats for over 6 years and my husband decided that we should get some Boer goats. I have done linear appraisal with my alpines as well as the Dairy Herd Improvement Association. I am curious if there is something similar with Boer goats or if they have something that tracks the Rate of Gain, Fertility of does (how many kids a doe produces), Virility of Bucks (how many kids a buck is able to produce per doe), as well as just the linear traits (whether I want to improve the width of my animals/depth of body/feet structure). Also is there a guide that people suggest when raising boer goats (I was shocked by floppy kid syndrome and I didn't see anything very helpful about it in the Storey's Guide to Raising Meat Goats). Thanks!

capracreek likes this.
  2. There really hasn't been very much studied formally in the ways you've decribed. There are a few people that are trying really hard to get these studies started. I keep those types of records on my own stock. As far as a guide, you won't get better health information and advice than right here on the goat spot.
    Boers have what are called ennoblements in their lines. If you go to www.abga.org, there are many tabs that enable you to find info including what is required to be ennobled, sire of merit, dam of excellence...

Sent from my SM-G928V using Goat Forum mobile app

capracreek and nancy d like this.

3. PippasCubby

PippasCubby Active Member

May 13, 2015
    E. WA
    toth boer goats and capracreek like this.
  4. JB goats

JB goats New Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Thanks! I wasn't sure if I was looking in the right area. They have some great informational videos on youtube by the Oklahoma State University, but it seemed more directed toward commercial herds.

toth boer goats and capracreek like this.