New to Breeding

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by D&D Farm, Jun 27, 2020.

1. D&D Farm

D&D Farm Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    My husband and I have done lots of research. We are looking for advise with our herd. We have one buck in-tact. We also have 2 does that are a year and a half old, a doeling that is 4 months, and lastly a doeling that is 3 months old. We have noticed that the buck has been chasing and trying to mount on of the older does. Today he was doing the same thing to our 4 month old doeling. I’m under the impression that they shouldn’t be bred or don’t go into heat until they are closer to a year old. Is this correct? Also is there any way besides total separation for them to live together this time of year?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That is not correct. They can come into heat at a young age. The buck needs to be separated.

3. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    It depends on your breed, but doelings can get pregnant that young. Rare but very bad to happen. I’d separate immediately. We have NDs and the bucklings get pulled at 8 weeks because they will try to breed their mothers and sisters. Our bucks are separate and only go on dates when the girls are ready to be bred.

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm likes this.
  4. D&D Farm

D&D Farm Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    We have Nubians. We will have to look at separating him from the doelings. We want him to breed with the older girls this year and all of them next year. Thank you for letting me know that they can get pregnant that young.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. CountyLineAcres

CountyLineAcres Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2014
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio
    I would immediately remove your doelings. Your full-grown buck could even injure them when they’re this small.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  6. D&D Farm

D&D Farm Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    He has been separated since before I posted this. E won’t be putting him with the doelings this year.

7. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    As a suggestion. There is an Anti mating Apron with House of Bachhus. You can run your herd together with the buck wearing this. Ive had them on my bucks without any ooooops. It makes it easier especially if you have young bucklings that still need to be with Mom. Just a suggestion.

MadHouse likes this.
  8. D&D Farm

D&D Farm Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    Our buck is definitely in rut and has stopped eating much. I’m not sure if the lack of appetite is because he’s in rut or if it’s part of the reason that he has nasal discharge. I gave him a shot of penicillin for the discharge a few days ago but he hasn’t eaten well in almost a week now. Any suggestions?

9. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    We love our buck apron BUT you have to be very careful of 2 things, in my experience: 1. It has to be tight enough so he won't slip it off and lose it. (Best $40 we have spent but lost it twice, thank God it was bright orange!) 2. Check it oftwn to make sure it is not rubbing a sore or causing an open wound where the buckle is. Other than those 2 things, it was amazing and worked very well!

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  10. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    If you gave penicillin, you need to do the full course of the appropriate amount, 5-7 days. There are other RX antibiotics that work better for upper respiratory infection. Take his temp.

11. D&D Farm

D&D Farm Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    The only one I could find is penicillin. I will do 3-5 days of injections to see if he gets better. I didn’t want to over load him with it. We don’t have a good vet around here that sees goats. Thanks for the advise!!!

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You must do 5-7 days of penG 2 x a day or you are making a big mistake.

13. D&D Farm

D&D Farm Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    Perfect. I’ll do that. Thank you!!!

14. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Along with the pen G..there is VetRx. I usually take a babies ball nasal sucker and clean out the goats nostril. Then put 2 drops of the VetRx in the nose. It helps stop the drainage.

MadHouse and D&D Farm like this.
  15. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with using biomycin 200 for respiratory infections instead, which is 1 x a day, 1 cc per 20 lbs SQ. For 5 days.

D&D Farm likes this.
  16. D&D Farm

D&D Farm Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    Are you talking about the poultry liquid?

17. Courtney De St Jean

Courtney De St Jean Member

Apr 18, 2019
    Lakeville, IN
    In addition, if you saw him mounting your young does you may want to consider lutalyse. It is readily available by prescription and if any of the young doelings were bred and did take a pregnancy at this young of age can be very problematic.

18. D&D Farm

D&D Farm Member

Apr 9, 2020
    Houston, Texas
    We saw him try to mount but he didn't actually get to. All of the girls are not into it yet. I'm more concerned that he isn't eating anything but hay and leaves.