New to dairy goats I need your help!

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Madison Ramsey, May 22, 2020.

1. Madison Ramsey

Madison Ramsey New Member

May 6, 2020
    North Carolina
    I have a Lamancha goat my dad purchased for me when he got his goats. I no nothing about her breeding but she is probably mixed. She had her first kid may 1st. I started milking one side because the baby favored the other. I am getting very very little milk I think the most I have ever gotten was maybe 1/4 cup. Now that her baby is getting bigger and starting to self wean (he is eating a little of her grain I. The evening) I issued that after her started weaning I would just keep milking and it would be fine. The past few night I haven’t been able to get any milk at all. He is still trying to nurse occasionally so I don’t think she is completely dry. Pleas let me know what I can do to keep her producing milk. Like I said I have never done anything like this before and am just kind of winging it. I did read about separating the two of them early but that and bottle feed isn’t something I want to do right now. Someone give me the 101 of Lamancha goats

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can you post a picture of her udder when it is full. Did you milk from day one? Are you sure you are emptying her udder?

MadHouse likes this.

3. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Is she getting enough rations to produce enough milk? If her buckling is only 3weeks old (born 5/1) he shouldn't be anywhere near weaning yet, he's just experimenting and learning with tasting and nibbling grain and hay. What are you feeding her and the amounts? Did you worm her after she kidded?

4. Madison Ramsey

May 6, 2020
    North Carolina
    I will take one this morning. It doesn’t ever really look very full. I haven’t separated her from the buckling at all. I only started milking the one side after about a few days after her kidding. I feel like she is empty I will milk until I can get anything else to come out. But then again this is my first time so I have nothing to compare it to.

5. Madison Ramsey

May 6, 2020
    North Carolina
    She always has hay available it is horse hay. I give her corn and grain mix In The evening probably about 3-4 cups I’m guessing we have a scoop that we use. We are raising our other goats for meat and this is what they are eating. They also have mineral and salt blocks. She is getting plenty of food but am also wondering if she needs to be on something different.

6. Madison Ramsey

May 6, 2020
    North Carolina
    Yes she was wormed after kidding

7. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Can you give alfalfa or alfalfa pellets? Those are rich in calcium, which helps boost milk production.

Do not wean the kid yet. They need to be weaned around 2.5 to 3 months old to ensure they grow properly.

She definitely needs more protein in her diet. Making milk is a hard job, and she needs a lot of protein to keep up with production for the baby and you and to keep up with her own body condition.

Is this her first time kidding? First-timers usually don't have much milk.

Good luck!

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Milkers need more to produce more. Start slowly increasing her ration and add alfalfa to her diet. Bucks tend to really drain mom..big eaters.
    Hows moms weight? Coat condition? Famacha?
    Other factors are minerals..goat really need a quality loose mineral with higher copper. Blocks don't give them enough of what they need and add way too much salt. Plus blocks are hard on their teeth.
    Hows her copper? Any faded color, fish tail or other signs she needs a bolus?
    Making sure mom is well hydrated. If she is not drinking enough water she will drop production.
    Can't wait to see a picture of her. I love LaManchas

MadHouse likes this.
  9. Madison Ramsey

May 6, 2020
    North Carolina
    Okay this helps a lot thank you! What is the best source of protein?

MadHouse and Nigerian dwarf goat like this.
  10. Madison Ramsey

May 6, 2020
    North Carolina
    Here is mama and her baby she is a first freshener. Her utter pretty much looks like this all the time. I don’t see a big difference size throughout the day. Also I need a name for her I just haven’t found anything that suites he yet. Bucklings name is Brody
    @happybleats @Nigerian dwarf goat

Attached Files:

11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Awe..baby is a cutie. Mom is pretty. She is on the thin side so definitely need more groceries. Her udder size is not bad..baby maybe keeping her empty.
    I would begin upper her grain ration slowly and feed her 2 times a day
    You can add a handful of calf manna to up her protein. Some have good results with Dyne supplement. Always add new food slowly.
    She needs alfalfa ..either a.few.cups pellets or a flake of alfalfa hay. I use chaffhaye and my goats love it..a pound a day is plenty, but which ever is easier for you to get and feed.

As for a name for mom..Sugar came to mind when I saw her

12. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Also...i would copper her. Dose is 1 gram per 22 pounds. She doesn't look too deficient but looks like it won't hurt to give.
    How was her famacha? I would send a fecal in to be sure deqorming her did its job. Meadowmist labs only cost $5 a test..
    I would Give those hooves a good trim to help her stand better.

Best wishes..she is a doll!!

MadHouse likes this.
  13. NDinKY

NDinKY Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2019
    Kentucky
    I agree that it very well could be the baby is drinking a whole lot more than you realize. I had a doe who I thought didn’t make much milk, and she only had a single buckling. When he was weaned I found out just how much he was drinking as she turned out to be a good milker.

Also agree that she could use more groceries.

14. Madison Ramsey

May 6, 2020
    North Carolina
    Is there a certain way you should go about milking as he is weaning? Should I milk a little every day just to keep her used to it and her supply up? If not when should I start? Never done this before so any tips is greatly appreciated!

MadHouse and happybleats like this.
  15. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    you can do one of two things, Milk her twice a day while baby is on her, this encourages more milk production based on demand and allows you to feed her a bit more on the table where no other goat is eating. ( dont expect a ton of milk while baby is on 24/7 as he will take most of it) OR since baby is over 2 weeks, pull him off at night and pen him in a safe area. This is good time to give a small handful of feed, hay and alfalfa of his own to eat, along with a small dish of water. He will rest mostly through the night. The come morning, Milk mom all the way out ( she will hold back some for baby). the let baby with mom for the day. At first both mom and baby will fuss, they will be ok and mom will come to enjoy the break LOL.
    You don't want to ween baby until he is 2 1/2-3 months old.

16. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    She is a beautiful girl! I can only suggest what I feed my milker does because it is the only thing I have ever tried. I will adjust a little bit because mine are minis, and your girl is standard :)

I would give her 1 cup oats, 1 cup barley, 1/2 cup calf manna, and 1/4 cup BOSS 2x daily. Periodically, throw some pumpkin seeds in there for a natural deworming, but that is optional.

If you don't have access to alfalfa hay, then pick up some pellets, and soak about 4 cups (1 quart) of them in a bucket of water for about 20-30 minutes and put a cheap strainer over another bucket, and press the water out of the alfalfa pellets. let her eat that up 2 times per day. She may not finish it all at first, but eventually she will love them. Always introduce new food very slowly.

I also suggest copper bolus.

17. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Also, do you feed your goats free choice minerals? What brand? If you do, I am sorry I missed it!

MadHouse likes this.
  18. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Thanks for jumping in ladies. Since the accident I haven't been able to get on much or for long. @Nigerian dwarf goat, @happybleats

She's a pretty doe and needs the alfalfa for her milk. It looks like she puts a lot into her milk which Is going to run her down. Id get rid of the corn for the most part because it's empty calories and not helping her keep in good condition. Calf manna is what I use mostly to boost the good stuff for my goats in milk because they love it.
    It looks like some replemin wouldn't be amiss either for a while just to get her back in balance mineral wise.

MadHouse and Nigerian dwarf goat like this.