The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
She must first give birth to lactate. How old is she? The "rule of thumb" is, when they reach 70-80lbs, breed them, gestation is 150 days +/-. Then she will produce colostrum for several weeks. She can then be milked (of course you will have kids to feed, so, they can be bottle or dam fed).

Here is a good website for newbies www.fiascofarm.com.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's 10 months and she has just been bred. We have been trying to get her used to the milking stand and didn't know if we were rushing things.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
They bag up about a month prior to kidding but DO NOT milk her out at all. That is colostrum for the kids. It could also cause mastitis.

·
Alpine Addict!
2,264 Posts
She must first give birth to lactate.
That is true is most cases, but some doelings can produce milk before they kid. My doe, Blue for example, was producing milk at four months old_ I had to start milking her routinely with my milkers! She freshened and produced a gallon and a half. :cool:

Fiasco Farm is a GREAT site make sure to look around!

·
Registered
637 Posts
That is true is most cases, but some doelings can produce milk before they kid. My doe, Blue for example, was producing milk at four months old_ I had to start milking her routinely with my milkers! She freshened and produced a gallon and a half. :cool:

Fiasco Farm is a GREAT site make sure to look around!
WOW. I did not know that ...

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
we wait until kids are two weeks before milking if the kids are doing well..We put them away at night in a safe kid pen and milk mom in the AM then she has baby the rest of the day..: )

·
570 Posts
It's a good sign though shows awesome dairy lines !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts