The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Can someone help me out with what I am seeing? Are these squiggly things parasites/worms or plant material?
I have treated this doe for barber pole and am trying to see if more treatment is needed. I really appreciate any help
Thanks,
H
Liquid Azure Purple Organism Rotifer

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,925 Posts
I dont see any Barber Pole worms. Alot of air bubbles and food debris. What degree of magnification are you looking through?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I apologize for all the air bubbles as I am new to this I believe it was 10x but I did enlarge the picture I took
There is a lot of those squiggly? things that has me concerned and confused

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I don't see any barber pole eggs, I bet those things are plant material. If you are really worried, take a fecal to a vet experienced with doing goat fecal tests, or mail one to Meadowmist Lab service: https://www.meadowmistlabservice.com. They can also test for lungworm.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Is the goat coughing? Acting weak? What is her FAMACHA score?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions
I will send samples out to Meadmist Lab
She did have a cough but it seems to have stopped after she was treated with Valbazene. She was also very weak and lagging behind. Her FAMACHA 4 this morning, been giving her Red Cell. She is separated from the herd. Her appetite is good and so is her temperature

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thanks for the update, if she had a cough then I would definitely get the lungworm test done. Valbazen does kill lungworm.
Is she getting daily b complex shots? Is she underweight?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The samples have been sent out to MeadowMist. I requested standard, Baermann and sedametation tests. Thank you so much for the reference, very reasonable pricing.
She is underweight. I have not given b complex since last Sunday. Do you recommend that should be continued? Also should I give the Red Cell daily? I gave it to her for 5 days conservatively then started 1 a week. I have started her on Goat Balancer.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
If she is acting sick at all then I would continue daily b complex shots. Since her FAMACHA score is not white, I think it would be fine to give red cell weekly. If you want to know for sure if she is anemic then a blood test will have to be done.

Reactions: Moers kiko boars

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Test results from MeadowMist came back negative.
I will keep giving her b complex daily and red cell once a week. I will also keep giving Goat Balancer to see if she will gain some weight and energy.
Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
5,925 Posts
I would take another fecal sample, and check it again. The worms have a 10 day rotation, so.if their is another worm bloom. You would catch it early. I like giving my struggeling kids/adults Dyne, 1 tsp in a syringe, used as a drench, so no needle. Its liquid vitamins, minerals, and nutrition used as a feed additive. It has a vanilla flavor. I usually mix it with probios, plain greek yogurt and a little electrolyte water to thin it a little. I give them this mix,at least 2xs a day.
It takes a couple of weeks to see a start of recovery. They lose weight fast. And recover it slowly.

·
Super Moderator
31,783 Posts
What do you mean her fecal came back negative? All goats have some parasites.. we dont become concerned until count is high. Can you post a pic of the fecal results?
I agree with doing a new fecal 10 days after the last for a good idea of what's going on.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts