The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Tailhound, First of all, WELCOME to the goat spot. We are so glad that you found us here. :wave: :wave: ans welcome to the Wonderful world of goats. Soon you will see that goats are addicting. You will have to have more.
Yep it sounds like you are going a good job, yes you are right everyone does things a little different because it depends on where you live because of the weather, the worm type that you will have to deal with, if you are in a wet climate then you will have a different worm problem, but I really do believe we all have about the same thing in mind.
If I was to say a few things that you should try to get her another goat right away, she will be a lot happier if she has a goat friend, along with you dog, (and I know how that is, I had a dog adopt a bottle baby). I would also maybe bottle feed her at least a bottle a day. If she in only 8 weeks old, that is pretty young, (here I know some of us differ, some wean babies at 8 weeks, and other longer).
Do you have any idea if hse had her CDT shot? If not I would give her one. They get a 2cc shot SQ. Most people (not everyone), give them at 2 weeks, then 6 weeks, if mom had a shot before she delivered, other wise the shot are at 2,6 and 10 weeks. The cdt is for ever eaters disease.
I also would not keep the heat lamp on her at night. She is old enough, and if she is kept warm by the heat lamp and then she goes outside and it is cool, that is when she will get sick, she needs to maintain her own body temp. I only leave the heat lamp on by babies for a couple days and only when it is really cold, like below 20.
Do you have pictures of your new baby? As I am sure you have realized, we all LOVE pictures.

Again, Welcome to TGS. :wave:

· Premium Member
10,547 Posts
OHHHHHH, she is adorable. What a wonderful first goat. Like I said, WARNING, they pull on your heart strings, and it doesn't take long does it?

I would say that she will be fine outside tonight. I would if you can get some straw and put that in her house, they love to snuggle down in that, but as we said before another buddy would be the best, that way they can snuggle together.
It sounds like you are well on your way and doing a great job. Congratulation and like I said welcome to the crazy goat nutty people's family :lol: :lol:

· Premium Member
10,547 Posts
Sounds like you have it under control. Yep it is those mothering instinct that kick in.
What I would do before you start treating her with dewormer, or treating her for something that she MIGHT not have, I would take a sample of fresh goat berries to the vet and have them run a fecal float on her and see it she has any worm or Cocci problem. Then if so have them tell you what to treat with. Different dewormers work for different types of worms. It is very important to treat for the correct problem.

· Premium Member
10,547 Posts
trailhound said:
Goat berries! That is cracking me up! I snuck her in the house and she pooped on the hardwood floor- my husband said that it was like the gumball machine gone crazy.
:slapfloor: :ROFL: That is the best. I have never thought of it like that but he is correct.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.