The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Kevin I am from oklahoma. I am working on fencing in my 20 acres. In the meantime, I am looking at getting 2 goats. I want 2 does, I am looking at getting one that is bred and use her for milk. Problem is I dont have anything setup but a small pen 32'x16' I don't have a shelter build yet either. Question is will this size pen accomadate 2 full size goats and maybe 1 or 2 kids? Could someone post some pictures or point me in the direction of some pictures of a small shelter, maybe like a lean too shed or something? I just need some ideas to get this going.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Hi Kevin,welcome to The Goat Spot!! I'm an Okie as well. :) I think that size pen would be just fine for 2 goats and a couple of kids. Just keep in mind that they will need hay as that's not enough room for them to just have strictly browse.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow thats was fast, 2 more okies already. Hay is not a problem. I will have my property fenced in by summer anyhow. I have plenty, and I meen planty of brush and weeds for them waiting. Cant wait to see the pictures.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want nigerians, but I cant find any for a descent price anywhere close. I found some nubians for a good deal. When I get my fence up, I will get boers.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Nigerians are cute, there's a breeder up in Pryor, but they're expensive. Are you wanting them registered or does it matter? I also know a couple good boer breeders in Oklahoma. :thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Starting out I would rather have a non registered. But if the price is right then it dont matter. Does the person in Pryor have a website or anything, whats their name?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Dills certainly isn't too expensive for the awesome quality you get! If show/milking is what you want then they are certainly great breeders for that. If you are looking for mainly pets I would go with unregistered.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I know what you meant Crissa :wink: And is really does seem expensive until you really look at what awesome quality they are. :greengrin:

My goats, don't chew on anything. :dance:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I talked to the Dill family they are located in chelsea now. They had 2 does that were cheap that wasnt show quality, but they sold them before I could make it there to get them.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Hi Kevin and WELCOME!! It's possible that if you go to the NDGA http://www.ndga.org (Nigerian Dwargf Goat Association) you will find member lists by state, you may be able to come across a few breeders there...some like mine are also registered with AGS.. http://www.americangoatsociety.com
Hope this helps!

·
Breaking Dawn Ranch
2,120 Posts
Welcome Kevin! I have a few Boers...I used to have a nubian and I want a Nigi buck with blue eyes but I dont have the money at this time.

That pen size would be plenty big enough for 2 goats. I have an 18' x 20' barn...my pens are small but they are temporary....I am almost in the same boat as you with no fence up on the property.

Stacey does have a nice set up!

I wish you luck in your goatie adventures!!! They are so addicting and I know you won't stop at 2.....I started out with 2 about 2 years ago and I now have 16......I have fainting goats

1 - 20 of 22 Posts