New to goats, and I have a few ?'s

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by CHICKENHEAD, Apr 27, 2008.

1. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Hello my name is Kevin I am from oklahoma. I am working on fencing in my 20 acres. In the meantime, I am looking at getting 2 goats. I want 2 does, I am looking at getting one that is bred and use her for milk. Problem is I dont have anything setup but a small pen 32'x16' I don't have a shelter build yet either. Question is will this size pen accomadate 2 full size goats and maybe 1 or 2 kids? Could someone post some pictures or point me in the direction of some pictures of a small shelter, maybe like a lean too shed or something? I just need some ideas to get this going.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Hi Kevin! welcome

I have just the same set up (right now) as you are describing. I will get you pictures here in a minute :D

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Hi Kevin,welcome to The Goat Spot!! I'm an Okie as well. :) I think that size pen would be just fine for 2 goats and a couple of kids. Just keep in mind that they will need hay as that's not enough room for them to just have strictly browse.

4. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Hello Kevin! I'm also an Okie. I'll have to agree with FarmGirl though, they definitely will be needing hay.

5. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    wow thats was fast, 2 more okies already. Hay is not a problem. I will have my property fenced in by summer anyhow. I have plenty, and I meen planty of brush and weeds for them waiting. Cant wait to see the pictures.

6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    What breed of goat are you looking at getting?

7. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    I want nigerians, but I cant find any for a descent price anywhere close. I found some nubians for a good deal. When I get my fence up, I will get boers.

8. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Nigerians are cute, there's a breeder up in Pryor, but they're expensive. Are you wanting them registered or does it matter? I also know a couple good boer breeders in Oklahoma. :thumbup:

9. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Starting out I would rather have a non registered. But if the price is right then it dont matter. Does the person in Pryor have a website or anything, whats their name?

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    here are two angles of my current shed

Attached Files:

11. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
  12. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Dills certainly isn't too expensive for the awesome quality you get! If show/milking is what you want then they are certainly great breeders for that. If you are looking for mainly pets I would go with unregistered.

13. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    That's what I meant Chelsey. I need to work on how I phrase things! :roll:

14. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    thats kind of what I am looking at building for mine stacey. WHy do the goats no eat on the wood?

15. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I know what you meant Crissa :wink: And is really does seem expensive until you really look at what awesome quality they are. :greengrin:

My goats, don't chew on anything. :dance:

16. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    I talked to the Dill family they are located in chelsea now. They had 2 does that were cheap that wasnt show quality, but they sold them before I could make it there to get them.

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Oh I didn't know they moved. :shrug:

18. CHICKENHEAD

CHICKENHEAD New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Does anyone know anyone that sells nigerian dwarves anywhere around NE OK.?

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hi Kevin and WELCOME!! It's possible that if you go to the NDGA http://www.ndga.org (Nigerian Dwargf Goat Association) you will find member lists by state, you may be able to come across a few breeders there...some like mine are also registered with AGS.. http://www.americangoatsociety.com
    Hope this helps!

20. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Welcome Kevin! I have a few Boers...I used to have a nubian and I want a Nigi buck with blue eyes but I dont have the money at this time.

That pen size would be plenty big enough for 2 goats. I have an 18' x 20' barn...my pens are small but they are temporary....I am almost in the same boat as you with no fence up on the property.

Stacey does have a nice set up!

I wish you luck in your goatie adventures!!! They are so addicting and I know you won't stop at 2.....I started out with 2 about 2 years ago and I now have 16......I have fainting goats