The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had a momma and 2 babies for a few weeks. I don't see the babies suck much and when they do, she only let's them suck for a few seconds. I'm guessing she is weening them? I want yo start milking her but don't know when would be a good time, I don't want to take away from the babies.
Also, can I give her too much feed? How much a day should a nursing goat momma have? She eats branches and trees a few hours a day as well.
One more thing, I don't have a stand will it be too difficult to keep her still enough for me to milk her without one?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
How old are the kids? They usually don't get weaned until about 8-12 weeks. You could separate the kids at night and milk in the AM. Also, depending what breed they are if they are the standard breed, I feed mine 2 cups in the AM and 2 cups in the PM along with 1 cup soaked alfalfa pellets. If they were in milk I probably would double that... My kinders get 1 cup grain, 1 cup alfalfa, the one that's milking, I feed her 1 cup of grain and AP in the AM then about 3 cups of grain at night and AP too. There is a chart here somewhere... I just play it by ear... Welcome to TGS.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
How old are the babies? What breed is your goat? That will make a difference with how much feed.

You can milk without a milkstand but it would be much easier to milk with a stand. Nigerians would especially be hard to milk without a milkstand.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
We put our babies up at night in a safe kid pen when they are 2 weeks old..then we milk mom in the AM and give back the babies the rest of the day. Moms don't stand long for kids to nurse...to see if they are getting enough..feel their tummies...they should feel firm, neither sunken in or pooching our much....if they look pretty good and are active, playful..bright eye , alert...then all should be well...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know how old the babies are they are all pygmy. My husband brought them home from the auction. I'll try to get a good pic to post and maybe someone could help me find out how old the babies are. Momma doesn't like being on a leash and has horns.
The babies are getting enough milk. They are all very healthy get lots of greens and I guess a little too much feed.
I read about a salt lick... and about taking care of lice on them? I've seen a few little bugs but not many. Their pin is completely dirt so I'm just wondering if I should be worried about bugs.
And about their horns? Do I need to get them de-horned? The male still has his boy parts... so when should he be separated from mom and sister. I read 8-10 weeks... I really think they are older than that. Their horns are about 1 inch long.
Thank you all for letting me know that babies only suck a few seconds... I had no idea.
But what you are telling me is that I can milk her while she is still nursing them?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts