The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we had 3 pygmy goats a buck a does and a kid buckling ...well mama goat lost a few week old baby today because she would not let it nurse and it was eating to much roughage and we took the sick baby to vet and he said that the baby rumen was full of roughage and he couldnt pass it and it was hard and was given iv fluids to give it (girlfriend is a nurse) and after doing that and milking mama and feeding baby milk and some water with molasses he passed this afternoon ...were really sad ....well mama has been crying for the past 2 days for the baby ..and i went to check on her tonight and seen that she now has diarrhea.....im pretty sure that it is due to stress....would i be correct on this and if so would giving her some pepto be best ....thanks in advance
...your site has been a great help with other issues we have had and i figured it would be nice to finally join the group

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
does she have a fever? if so she may need antibiotics, if not you may need to consider coccidia as stress brings it on. but to treat the diarrhra mix 5cc of pepto with 1 cup of pedialyte and drench her with it. she may like the taste of pepto in which case it will be easy.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Have they had any vaccinations? I'm guessing the kid had "enterotoxemia". It can kill quickly. Are you going to milk the doe? She will cry for awhile and then forget...if you milk her...it will be easier for her to get over it.

You need to make sure she is not sick, though. Take her temperature. Make sure the milk is ok...no lumps, clumps, blood etc., in the milk, so milk some onto a screen or just a paper towel. You don't want to see "stringey" milk.

Has she been on fresh pasture? Sometimes, the flush of fresh growth can make them poopy. Does it smell bad? Cocci poop has a distinct odor. It's best to take a fecal sample to the vet, they can tell you what worms are there and how to treat for them.

So, go and get her temperature and let us know what it is...since she wasn't letting kid nurse...we need to be sure it was not from mastitis...she needs antibiotics if she has a fever. And, welcome to TGS!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
her temp is normal and no funny smell from her poop.....i just got done worming them all about 2 weeks ago and the vet did tetnis on the 2 older ones ....no realy change in diet other than they are now eating some coastal hay....they were eating overgrowth of weeds and whatnot and grass....and they cleared it all out rather quickly aver a month and now we are also giving them the hay ..which they have had for about 5 days now......but she is drinking water and eating so i just gave her a booster on her wormer and a dose of pepto and we will see how it goes

1 - 4 of 4 Posts