new to goats and need advice

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goataz, Jun 20, 2009.

1. goataz

goataz New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    I just got two 5 month old nubian cross goats a month ago. They are whethers. They are very friendly but whenever I go in and feed or just want to play with them, they rear up and put their feet on my back or constantly butt me in the legs with their heads. Any suggestions on how to stop this? They have horns so I'm concern for when they get bigger. Thank you!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WELCOME!!!

Nubi wethers can get big and I don't blame you at all for correcting the behavior now.
    Don't touch their horns in play as they will think it's ok to use them in "play" with you. A smart smack on the nose when they jump up or even a spray bottle with cider vinegar in it directed at their faces might help.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    if i think theyre being too rough i just flick them on the nose..they quickly learn that its not good to jump on people and butt.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup the spray bottle in the face usualy is a good stopper. Adding the sting of the vinagar doesnt do damage but it certainly is a deterant for later.

Also with dogs they tell you when they are jumping to give them a good knee to the chest then turn away so they dont realize it was you. I do this with my goats and it works some of the time, but it certaily slows down the amount of jumping done.

A good smack on the nose never hurt them either. As with any animal you need to show dominance but in a non threatening way. Quick and swift ponishments for incorrect behavior are important. And the earlier the better.

Welcome :)

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I like the water/vinigar in the face witha firm no. it usuallys tops the behavior quickly. Dont push on their heads as that encouragges them to be rough. As for the jumping up pushing them off with a hand on their neck or shoulder works good.
    beth

6. goataz

goataz New Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Thanks for the advice! I'll start today!

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all welcome.

I am glad that you are getting on it now. My sister did not and they kept playing and now he is about 250 pounds and it is not so fun anymore.

I keep telling her to get the spray bottle with water and Vinegar.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome....goataz.......glad your here.... :wave:
    I agree with the water.. vinagar in a spray bottle... :wink: :greengrin:

9. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The flick on the nose works wonders. My 3mo old bottle baby has finally stopped trying to nibble on my fingers! Well most of the time. She needs reminders. :greengrin: