New to goats and need some help..Updated pictures added

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by MattMattsMomma, Jan 14, 2010.

1. MattMattsMomma

MattMattsMomma New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Hi,

I am still very new to goats and especially the kidding process. I have been reading these boards and I have some questions. I have only had Lucy since June and she is an older goat. We do have a male goat.

I think my goat Lucy is pregnant and might soon have her babies.

She has gotten larger over the past couple of months. At first I thought she was just gaining weight, getting her winter coat, but then I noticed her udder looking larger and that's when it hit me.

This morning when I went out to check on them, I noticed that she has creamy colored mucus coming out of her, which I have never seen before on her.

I took some pictures, they are not very good, but here they are:

Leaves stuck to the mucus:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot from behind:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot from Overhead:
    [​IMG]

Do you think she might be getting close? I need to gather up some things in case she needs me.

I don't know exactly when she was bred. I do remember a day a few months ago when I saw the male goat trying to do his job. But I didn't think much of it because he is so much shorter than her, I didn't think he would be able to reach.

Thank you if you can help me.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: New to goats and need some help..

welcome :wave:

yes she looks pregnant -- I say she is loosing her plug. Could be any day now up to another month.

When that udder gets SUPER tight and full -- it will suddenly just balloon up, you know you are getting close.

For kidding supplies I like to have on hand -- LOTS of towels. I always have like 10 or more towels and I seem to use them all. Never can have to many towels ready. One of those snot sucker things for babies -- works great also for little kiddos :thumb:

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Welcome :welcome: so glad you are here with us.

I have to agree with Stacey, she is loosing her plug. I would guess by her utter you have at least three more weeks to go or so.

Is she in with the buck now? If so you need to get him out and keep him away from from her.

4. MattMattsMomma

Jan 14, 2010

Yes, he is in with her, along with a wethered buck. Why would I need to separate them (again, I am new to this)? Would it be better just to move her to her own area?

I wouldn't mind waiting another 3 weeks, it has been sooo cold here for the past two weeks. I am ready for springtime!

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

yes you can just remove her to her own area -- the buck will start to chase and mount her as seh gets closer to kidding. Its the change in hormones and he thinks she is in heat again :roll:

6. MattMattsMomma

Jan 14, 2010

Oh okay, we will have to get them separated.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

If there is another goat or horse that can go with her, at least until she kids, that way she is not alone and get lonely.

When my girls get close to kidding (like less the 12 hours), I know they are going because the bucks start ot go crazy, they really start snorting and pawing at the ground trying to get to them. Also I have heard where the buck kills that baby after it is born.

Matt, just so you knw, a fixed buck is called a wether.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

MattMattsMomma ... :welcome: welcome...welcome....so glad to have you here....everyone has great advice and I can't add anymore... Happy and Healthy kidding.. :wink: :wave:

9. MattMattsMomma

Jan 14, 2010

Hi,

I just wanted to post back with an update...still waiting. Her udder seems to have gotten larger and she has gotten a little bit bigger herself.

Here are some new pictures that I just took of her:

Here she is rubbing on the fence (she is supposed to be on the other side)
    [​IMG]

Shot of her backside:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does she look larger to you, compared to the pictures above from a couple of weeks ago? Hopefully she doesn't have much longer to go...the waiting is killing me. I feel sympathy for her, that udder just sloshes around when she walks fast.

Thank you again!
    Lidia.

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

she's grown ALOT! i think twins

11. MattMattsMomma

Jan 14, 2010

Anyone want to guess what day?? I think she might still have 2 more weeks to go. Valentine babies would be nice!

I wish she would have stood still long enough to get some shots from overhead. She won't let me near her. I will try again later when she is back in the fence.

12. MattMattsMomma

Jan 14, 2010

Twins would be nice! I hope she is a good momma.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Her udder has filled in more...and she has done this before with the way her udder looks, her last kidding was likely a single giving her the lopsided appearance. She'll do fine as a mom...I think you just might end up with Valentines kids.

She can be bred again at 6 weeks past delivery...some does sooner and it really isn't healthy for a nursing doe to become pregnant soon after a delivery, it tends to take alot from them. Also....baby girl goaties can have their first heats at 2 months of age which is why it's wise to have bucks separate.

14. MattMattsMomma

Jan 14, 2010
    Thank you Liz, that was good information, especially the information as to why she is lopsided, I always wondered how that happened.

We are going to separate her from the buck.

Thank you again and I will keep you posted.

15. MattMattsMomma

Jan 14, 2010
    Hoping today is her day...we'll see.

16. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    good luck! :kidblue: :kidred: :stars: