new to goats and new here

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by slauxt, Jan 20, 2009.

1. slauxt

slauxt New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Hi Everyone! I'm going to try to be short and sweet. I am better @Sheep. We purchased 2 pygmy does @ an auction (our kids just had to have them and honestly I thought they were cute and thought no problem they can't be any more trouble than sheep)so I have no information about them from before November 25th. This post only concerns the 1 doe. I have read lots of info on goats and I have some ideas but no conclusions. Here are my thoughts based on what I have read and comparing it to ours since I've never actually SEEN these things in a goat. I'm sticking with the doe I've got questions about. She appears to be about 2. Her 1 teat looks blown out. She appears bagged up and has looked that way since we got her except her bag has gotten bigger (we aren't milking her either) and therefore I'm wondering if she's pregnant (we don't have a buck and there's none near enough for her to have been bred after Nov. 25th. She's had clear stringy and orangish stringy discharges 3 different times over the last 6 weeks. Still trying to keep this short so I'm going to leave out some little things unless you think I need to include them! Then just let me know.
    Thanks in advance for your insight. Anything will help as this goat is driving me crazy with wondering. I've been checking on her in the middle of the night in case she is and in case she kids and has problems.

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

She does appear to be pregnant to me. As for the udder imbalance, Im going to take a stab and say mastitis damage to the right half of her udder? Maybe you could get better udder pictures to fully asses that, but yes I do think she is expecting.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    First off - welcome :wave: from Idaho!!!!

Don't worry about asking ALL kinds of questions - that is what we are here for!

It does look like your girl is pregnant and probobly getting close to kidding by the looks of her. It also looks like she may very well have scar tissue in the one side hindering her from milking on the one side (which might be why she was taken to auction).

Can you feel any babies in there? You should be able to feel movement right in front of the udder or on her right side (her left is the rumen). Also check her ligaments. This will tell you how close she is to delivering.

here is a link on how to feel them - http://fiascofarm.com/goats/prenatalcare.html

How recent are the pictures.

4. slauxt

slauxt New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    The pics were taken last week on the 17th. Babies, I can feel and see something moving around on both sides. I'm just not positive its babies. Ligaments, I can't find those darn things for the life of me. Her lopsided udder, I do have more pictures if you want me to post them.. But from what I've read, I agree there must have been some kind of damage. That's why I said it appears bagged up. I don't know if it would have shrunk or got bigger with that kind of damage. So I don't know if she's truely bagged or just really damaged. I do know the other side looks normal but it too looks bagged. And both sides have grown since we got her. I assumed she had kidded before due to how big her bag had been. I was basing that on the thought that she wouldn't have completely shrunk back down. But figured she had either been milked when we got her or was pregnant considering I thought she would have atleast shrunk as much as a sheep does. Not back to up tight against but not all hanging down baggy. Is that correct? Thanks for getting back to me so fast. So you think she is preggars. Not just a heat or something else? You guys going by the pooch test? Can you give me an idea of what exactly you look for? I suppose it would probably help if I compared a doe who for sure was bred and 1 who wasn't right? Any ideas how close? Thanks again!
    Sue

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sue, Welcome to The Goat Spot. :wave: :wave: We are really glad you are here with us.

I say that she will be kidding in a week or two. She looks like she is getting close to me.

As for her Utter. Now I assume you have no idea how old she is. I had a doe that kidded when she was 12,13, and 14 years old, (yes every year before that also), Her utter was way lopped sided also but hey as many babies as she has she was bound to be lop sided, (as I would be also). So I would not worry to much about damage but it could be possible.

Do you have a kidding kit ready? I would assume so if you do sheep.
    now goats are a little different from sheep as the goats NEED cooper ad as you know sheep can not have much if any at all.

I can not wait to see those babies when you get them. As we all do.

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I agree - you could see kids within the next week or so based on the udder from last week's pictures.

When we are looking at a "pooch test" we are looking at how the vulva is swollen - if the rectum is level with the vulva or sunken in, the hip bones and tail head.

7. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    You can help to tell her age by her teeth untill she is 4 years old and then they stay the same foe a long time. I will try to get pics for an example.

8. slauxt

slauxt New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Kidding kit, from what I've read is identical 2 lambing kit. My sheep are due in next 3 weeks, so yep got that. And yep I read about copper 2. You think she may be able 2 nurse on that teat? Or is that a strictly wait and see question? And if she can't nurse on that side do I milk it out or leave it be?
    A couple of weeks! I thought you all would say a month maybe 2! Exciting! I'll post baby pics was soon as she has them.
    Thanks!
    Sue

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She definately looks preggy! And WELCOME!!!!

Her udder being lopsided as was mentioned , could be the result of mastitis or other injury that was not treated...or very well could be the result of having single kids...some tend to favor one side over the other.

The udder being the way it is or her only having singles could be the reason she was at the sale barn.

Since she could not have been bred after Nov.25th...but was either bred while at the auction house ( which would put her due in late March)...the way her pooch looks as well as her significant growth in the udder , I'd say she's either due now or within the next week.

If you can post a pic of her as a "whole" we may be able to get a better idea of exact breed as well as possibly her age...I mainly go by horn growth and their faces...an "older" goat has a wisened look about them( thats just me though..lol)

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome sue!!! congrats on teh new goat adventure. As to the milk/nursing. If the kid/s seem to have dificulty nursing off the overfull side the milk it down so they can easily gain access to the teat. If they are nursing but not enough then you will want to milk it so she doesnt get to full.

It almost seems like she had a single last time and no one milked out the one side so she is now lopsided. but mastitis in a previous kidding would also account for the lopsideded udder.

(when I posted reply Liz had already replied ahead of me -- seems like we were thinking the same thing LOL)

11. slauxt

slauxt New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    I was guessing she's around 2 because I've seen teeth charts for goats online. I'm so new to this though that she could be 10 lol. So the pooch test, when they're not pregnant their anus is not flush right? Is it sunk in quite a bit? And her tail, I've noticed she holds hers different from the other doe its more like floppy(its kind of hard to explain). Is that what you mean about her tail bones? I thought it was just the way she liked to hold it. But it has seemed a little droopier than last month. Well as I was checking this for typos 2 more of you posted! Oh my but yall are fast! Lol I can't keep up! I'm going to post this then try to post a side and face view pictures. You all are great! Thanks again!
    Sue

12. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Welcome! A puzzle (when will kids be due?), how fun! I'll agree she's due pretty soon...but everyone knows my ability to predict when is suspect! :sigh: I'd suggest you go to the fiasco farm website and learn to find the ligaments. Check your other doe too, you will be able to feel the difference. You should be able to feel them getting lower and lower, but when they are gone, it's profound! You will be expecting kids soon. It will look like her "spine" is getting higher...sort of... :help: . Kids are on the right, you can feel them if you have patience. Sometimes you can feel a foot, etc. It's really cool.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  14. slauxt

slauxt New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    What's the difference between a vulva during heat and 1 near delivery? They sound the same when reading about them. Here's 3 pics. 2 side view 1 face.
    Talk to yall later gotta eat dinner. Nice hearing from everyone!

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    That udder/teat looks like it hurts!!! :cry:

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh yah those pictures show it -- ouch! YOu may need to prepare to bottle feed the babies as that teat looks way to big for their little mouths to latch onto.

17. slauxt

slauxt New Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Ya I agree it looks like it should hurt. But if it does, she's not acting like it. I've gently felt it and its not particularly lumpy, you can feel tissue in there though, and its not hard or hot at all either. The only time she jumped when I felt it was when I idiotically touched her with freezing cold hands. So what do I do about it? If the kid/s can't nurse, should I still milk her or just leave it be and feed them cows milk? If they can't nurse it, I will have to atleast milk out colostrum for them, right?
    Thanks!
    Sue

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes I would milk her and make sure the kids get the colostrum. If they arent going to nurse off her and you bottle feed then either milk her to give teh kids the milk or just milk enough so the pressure is released and she will slowly dry up.