The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two mytonic goats and I am only able to feed them once a week. That is grain we put enough hay out for a week or two. In the winter will I need to give them more feed before I leave them for a week. I am worried they won't get enough food and freeze. Am I over thinking??

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
If you are only feeding grain once a week then I would stop feeding grain.

Goats don't regulate eating grain. They will eat it till it is gone. They could end up with acidosis or enterotoxemia.

It is critical that they have enough hay and clean water at all times.

·
8,175 Posts
I agree with ksalvagno, Goats need daily attention- they can get caught in things, get hurt or wild animals can get them. (dogs too).
If they poop in their water, they will not drink it. Please don't let them go a week without care. Arrange for someone to check them daily.

Mine get checked on at least 3 times a day and they are only a few hundred feet from the house. You'd be amazed at the trouble a goat can
get into...

·
Registered
55 Posts
First, I don't want to sound unkind, and I'm sure you're someone like me, who wanted the country life desperately, and right now you can only have that part time. If so, I can relate and I sympathize with you. However, I agree with everything that's been said so far.
If you can only check on them once a week, that's not good. They will not get enough to eat or drink only being fed/watered once a week. They hate stale water, so they won't get enough to drink. They eat all the best stuff out of their hay right away, then stand around hoping for new hay so they don't have to eat the part they don't want. Because of that, it's best to give them just enough for them to clean it up by the next feeding, so they don't have to get overly hungry for a long period. Say you put enough hay out to last a week. It might take them a couple of days to eat the best parts of that, and then they will stand around hungry until they're desperate, then eat the rest which will be inferior quality, so their bodies aren't getting a regular diet of healthy food.
No grain is very definitely better than grain once a week, or trying to feed them a bunch of grain when you see them. That is very bad for them. They need a steady diet of the same food with very slow changes. The result of grain feeding like you're thinking of are bouts of diarrhea at the least, or bloat (which could kill them, and will cause serious suffering, without attention, which they wouldn't be getting if nobody is there.)
And that's only the food, there are many, many things that can happen when nobody is there that could be very bad. It's bad enough when a goat steps on a nail, gets caught in a feeder, gets sick, gets out of a fence and into trouble...and is found within a few hours. It's awful to think of that animal having to be stuck, injured, or sick for days without help.
I sure hope you can find some way to have them checked in on daily, for their sake and for yours, so you won't worry while you're away. Best wishes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see them once a week but they get attention everyday but what I tell the care takers they have to do and was wondering what I should tell them but the grain will still only be once a week.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
What kind of goats, what kind of hay are you feeding, and what would you like to do with these goats? Are they pets? Do you want to breed them?

If they were mine and I could only be there once a week, I would be looking at feeding a good alfalfa/grass mix and no grain. Grain once a week does nothing for your goats except provide a way to upset their systems depending on how much you feed them. Grain also does not do much in the way of providing heat because it is to easily digested. You need hay for that - specifically grass hay. It is the act of digestion that keeps animals warm in cold weather, and grass hay is harder to digest than alfalfa. If your animals are older wethers they will do just fine on a good quality grass hay. If they are does that you are planning to bred, they will do nicely on good quality grass hay, but need grass/alfalfa about the last month to month and a half. If the hay is high enough quality - 3rd cutting that has been put up correctly - it will provide complete nutrition and grain is not needed. Where do you live? If your winters are harsh the goats will need more hay than they would in the summer time. I'm thinking they have shelter? What about mineral? I hope this helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of goats, what kind of hay are you feeding, and what would you like to do with these goats? Are they pets? Do you want to breed them?

I have mytonic goats

They get alfalfa

They will be bred

They are pets

I have a buck and a doe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts