New to goats and would like to start with mini-nubians

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by Tammy, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Tammy

Tammy Guest

Mar 4, 2009
    My husband and I farm, raise beef cattle, miniature Jersey and standard Jersey dairy cows, free range Rhode Island Red hens, and a large garden from which we sell produce to the community. We also raise and sell cash crops such as hay, corn, soybeans and oats. I have a pair of miniature Dachshunds that I breed and I have a pair of Corgis that I intend to breed in the future.

I have never owned goats and do not know the first thing about raising them but I have become fascinated with the mini-nubians. Does anyone have experience with them? Can you give me pros and cons of owning them? Any tips on fencing that will keep goats in? How much land per mini-nubian is required for grazing?

Any and all information you would like to share would be greatly appreciated!

Tammy

http://tcuppminiatures.wordpress.com/

2. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Hi Tammy,

I own and raise Mini-Nubians with my parent's. We wanted a medium sized goat that was easy to handle and easy to milk, we started out with the Nigerians, my sister and I were the only ones who could milk the Nigerians and the Nubians were too big for us then we fell in love with the Mini-Nubians! We love the Mini-Nubians since they're a nice size and are wonderful milkers. We only have 3 acres fenced off for our animals but we have 20 acres, we have 5 ft. horse fencing for our goats and we use a lot of cattle panels too, the Nigerians were our main escape artists though but some of our Mini-Nubians learned to open the gates by pulling the pins out though but we had to switch to other pins for those escape artists. If you have any other questions about the Mini-Nubians please feel free to e-mail me at: [email protected]
    There is another breeder of Mini-Nubians here on TGS though.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Amy...that is very nice of you... :hug:
    ....I wish I could help, but I am in it full boer....LOL.... :)

4. Tammy

Tammy Guest

Mar 4, 2009
    Thank you so much, Amy! I would be starting of small (no pun intended) and I am wondering how many acres per adult mini is recommended for grazing? We have 50 acres here at our house (additional acreage at the other farm) but most of that is in hay. I have about five acres fenced off right now but have my Jerseys pastured on it. My plan was to take a portion just outside the shelter that I have available and fence it in. If I were to start with say three or four animals, how much area would you recommend that I fence?

I will check out your blog when I get the chance! Do you have a web site as well?

Approximately how much milk do you get from the mini-Nubians per day when you don't have a kid on them?

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do not know if I welcomed you Tammy. :pray:

Good Luck.

6. Tammy

Tammy Guest

Mar 4, 2009
    Thank you for the warm welcome!

Tammy

7. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Hi Tammy,

We have various sizes of pastures here which some are bigger than others, we have some areas fenced off right out the back door of our barn, I'm not sure how big they are but they are pretty good sized areas too, actually we have areas fenced off all over our 3 acres for our goats but Mini-Nubians really don't need that big of area though since they are mostly browsers not grazers though, there is 5 adult Mini-Nubians in one area and when I put them out to pasture there are some that are in a group of 3 which works nicely since there isn't as much head butting going on, we got this from a State Vet. with our bucks that if you put them in a group of 3 or more there is less fighting going on but some there is only one goat in the pen though since they don't get along with the others.

We get 2 quarts which is from each teat, morning and evening so they're good milk producers!

Our website is: http://www.freewebs.com/pinepodfarm

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Welcome to TGS! You'll get lots of good info here. You have a very nice website btw.

9. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Hi and welcome to The Goat Spot. My name is Briana. I used to raise mini Oberhaslis. I also have a mini dashund. My folks have 2 female mini dashunds. And then I have my old neutered male dashund to. Chloe is white with read, black, and grey markings and 2 blue eyes. Sassy(her mom) is a long-haired grey, black marked. And Sassy's mom is black and tan( her name is Dixie). A friend of mine in Oregon raises mini nubians, her name is Dannette Hackman. Her website is www.echohillsfarm.com . She has been in the minis for a long time. I got my first mini oberhasli from her. Eliya also raises mini nubians. She posts on here from time to time. I really liked my mini obers.

10. Tammy

Tammy Guest

Mar 4, 2009
    You all are great. You have given me some great information to get me started in my research! Thank you so much! I am sure I will have many more questions to come!!!!!!

Tammy

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    there is a mini nubian breeder in VA (two I think actually) will ask my friend for their websites.

12. eliya

eliya New Member

Hi Tammy, Welcome to The Goat Spot! I know we've 'met' already (your on my yahoo list), but thought I'd say 'hi' again :wave:

I'm not real good with pasture sizes... I've never measured mine! Starting with 4-5 animals, I'd say an acre would be a nice area, but you wouldn't need it that large. If you plan for it to be their only source of food, you'll need a lot more than you will if you feed hay as well. If you supplement with hay, you just need enough for them to get exercise and some browse - they LOVE trees, brush etc way more than grass.

You also asked about production. This depends a lot on the individual as well as how they are fed. My does are on pasture/browse with alfalfa/grass/clover hay. They get grain while they are being milked so they don't get a ton of concentrates. My does vary from 3 lbs a day for a small first freshener to 10 lbs for my largest doe at her peak. They average about 5-6 lbs a day.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome Tammy! Glad you found the members that do raise mini nubes! I have 3 1/2 acres but have "security" pens for my goaties......rest of the time while I am home they have free range browsing....I do have an electric fence pasture for my does that is approximately 150ft square so they can browse while I'm at work...but most times they can be found laying on my back porch! Oh and a loaded shotgun is handy for "intruders" LOL

14. Tammy

Tammy Guest

Mar 4, 2009
    Thanks to everyone!

I have met some wonderful people both on this forum and on the GreenGables Yahoo group including Eliya! Everyone has been so helpful. Through the Yahoo group I was able to find some lovely folks raising mini-nubians within driving distance! In fact, one lady has invited me to her place to visit and I can't wait to find a time that I can do that. She is about two hours from me.

My next question is about breeding. What are your opinions on line breeding? I originally saw a picture of a mini-nubian on Craigslist and that is what started me searching for more information. This individual suggested buying a a buckling and a doeling that have different dams but the same sire. She said that some folks line breed in this manner. This just did not sound right to me and I wanted to get opinions on this from others. I passed on those particular animals because I wanted to learn more about the breed before just jumping in.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    line breeding is ok if you know what you are doing. Half sibling line breeding is actually how a friend of mine likes to do linebreeding. I prefer goats to be unrelated as possible.

16. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Wow, how :oops: - I completely missed this thread -

WELCOME!!!!!!!!! :wave: from Idaho!!!

17. Tammy

Tammy Guest

Mar 4, 2009
    :wave: Hello Kelebek!

My dear husband has decided since he can't win anyway, he might as well join me in the planning stage for getting goats! :clap:

I am interested to know how many of you hand milk your goats or if you use a milking machine. I have a Surge milker for my cows and I am wondering if I could use that to milk goats?

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I dot know about the milk machine others can help with that. I hand milk

Great job on the hubby front! :applaud:

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    We hand-milk or use the Udderly Hand Milking Machine, for the trouble does. ;) I think if you were to have more than 10 does, that a milking machine would be best but if you have just a few, then hand milking is fun and actually goes quite fast! :)

20. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I hand milk too, we have gotten Mini-Nubians from Danette Hackman in Oregon too! We have done line breeding here before, son to mother though which we got really nice kids out of that breeding but we won't do line breeding again though.