New to goats..Got a few questions.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by citygoat, Jan 17, 2008.

1. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    HI, I bought two boarXnubian goats back in oct. they have grown a full winter coat. tonight when i was petting my younger goat i noticed that i could feel his ribs with out having really press on him. How can i tell if he is to thin?
    I have my goats on a medicated pellet feed. How much feed should they be getting a day?
    Yesterday i stoped off and got some fresh bambo that some one was cutting down. i firgured i would but it in their pen to munch on b/c we are getting snow and they wont be able to go out. they nibbled on the bambo for a little bit but not with real excitment. they ate all their grain this morning but havent really touched their hay. and they arent really liking the bambo much. could somthing be wrong? or is it the change in weather? it went form 50-60 during the day to snowing in two days. Thanks for reading.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    First off welcome to The Goat Spot.

You shouldn't feed a goats ribs to easily.

if they feel like the nuckles of your hand (when you make a fist) then the goat is to skinny.

I would first take both their temperatures to see if they are falling ill.

A normal range for a goat is 101-104.

I bought a digital thermometer just for my goats. You take their temps rectally.

Is the hay a new bale? is it moldy or smelling musty?

I don't know if goats like bamboo that much and there is no nutritional value in it to my knowledge.

3. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    The hay is a new bale. it smells fine and is still green. I just feed a bale form the same load to my horses and they ate it as normal. I tryed to sreach the web for info on feeding bamboo to goats and couldn't find anything. I didn't use at a surce of food just thought i would be a nice treat but i guess they dont like it. i know they were hungery. when they seen me bringing the hay they were running the fence and licking their lips. they finshed their grain and just kinda tosed the hay around and left it alone.

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sometimes goats can be rather picky and if you change up their hay they will refuse to eat it for quite some time or until you give them the kind they like. I had to basically toss out an entire bale because my girls REFUSED to eat it and I am not the kind of person that gives in to pickyness at all but I was scared for their health.

I would definatly check their temps though just in case you have something else going on.

5. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS
    If they don't have a fever and just seem too thin, I would worm them and start increasing their grain ration gradually. It takes energy just to stay warm when its very cold, so many animals need a higher calorie intake in the winter.

6. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    what would be the best wormer to get and how much do i give? They were suppose to be wormed when i got them which was the end of oct. are there any vaccines that i should get as well?

7. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    i have a glass themomater....will that be the same as a digital?

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a glass one is fine if you can read it while outside. It works just the same. I personaly like the convience of the digital - never could read a conventional thermometer! and yes my mom did try to teach me

a good wormer is ivermectin. You can get the injectable for cattle OR the paste for horses.

If you get the injectable give it orally at 1cc per 20lbs

if you use the horse paste give it at triple the horse dosage (so what you do is calculate the goats weight and then triple it to get the weight amount you need to give your goat).

You want to follow up with another worming 7-10 days later (no sooner and no later) to catch the second cycle of eggs.

Best to check their eye lids before worming. If they are pale then they need to be wormed, if they are bright pink then do not worm them because there is no need.

use this chart to help you determin if they need to be wormed or not

http://www.new-agri.co.uk/03-2/develop/dev04.html

9. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    Thanks the chart helped lots. does that coloring go the same for the inside of their mouths? i will get the wormer tomorrow and take their temps in the morning. Oh and one more question. can you tell anything by the tempature of a goats horns? i have noticed that sometimes they are hot and sometimes cold. does that indicate anything?

10. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    My only other thought would be possible Cocci? If they had a cocci load to begin with, a medicated feed would not be enough to keep it down. (to my understanding.) You have to get rid of the cocci first and then you can keep it down using a medicated feed.
    I am not sure though, I do not use medicated feed, just use albon when necessary.
    I am not saying that this sounds like a case of cocci, it is just the next thing I would check after worms. Having the vet run a fecal would tell you about both worm and cocci load. Should not be very expensive, I would guess $15?

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I don't know about the horns - only had a couple horned goats through the years.

As to checkign their mouths - do you mean gums? then yes you can check their gums for the same colors to know if they need to be wormed. The eyes are more effective sign across the board though for all goats. Some goats gums maybe on the paler side just normally, by checking the lower eye lids in conjunction with the gums you can learn what color gums are dangerous and which are safe for your particular goat.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    As far as horns go, horns are a goats cooling and heating system, they help to regulate their body temperature. So sometimes they will feel cold, and other times they will fell hot.

When checking the goats for anemia, I never trust the gums on account that once I had a goat that was very anemic, his gums were bright pink and his eyes were white. He was obviously sick, but still had pink gums.

Welcome to the Goat Spot! :)

13. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    i went to the feed store today and they had no idea about how to deworm a goat. they only had onr goat dewormer but it was very expensive and i only needed it for two. i got the ivermectin past for horses. how do i know how much my goats weigh? they are boar and nubian cross. they are about 6 months old but one is way smaller than the other. They also had the injectable for cattel but it had a warning on the bottle "do not use in other sepcies could cause severe reaction" and they had some pills that were labled for sheep but they said that they have sold it for goats before.

14. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    They ate all of their grain this morning and they have been slowing muching away at the bambo leaves they have eaten less than 1/4 of a flak of hay. their eye color was good but not bright red. i still have not taken the temps.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I will get back to you on how to measure a goat to get its weight - e-mail me if i don't get back to you

goatigirl@gmail.com

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey, I have the "formula" for weight wrote in my record book.

Heart girth X Heart girth X Length divided by 300

Heart girth is the circumference around the chest,, just behind the front legs, Length is from shoulder to hip bone.

Example...Bootsie is 31"girth and 19" length....31X 31X19=18,259/300= 60.863. Rounded up to 61 lbs....

I hope it wasn't too confusing, a seamstress tape works very well though a retractable tape measure will work in a pinch, just try and keep it even when going around the goat.

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh Liz thanks so much!!! I forgot who had it and was going to look myself on the internet. So glad you posted that, saves me some time.

18. citygoat

citygoat New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    eden nc
    ok i got them wormed :p . they didn't put up much of a fight. and they got some raisn afterwards. They really like rasins. i was reading something on here and someone mentioned that their goats liked them so i thought i would try it. thanks everyone for the info.

19. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Mine also LOVE the apple cinnamon or blueberry english muffins. They go crazy for pieces of that. Or there is a gronola bar that is made by something valley - I pick them up at Costco and also I see them in grocery stores and gas stations. Anyway they are a chewy granola bar that has fruit and nuts in it - oh man - they are all over those!!!

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Well heck. I posted last week in this and it is not there.

You can add Beet Pulp to the grain, and something else I have added. I went to the feed store and I bought the liquid weight gain stuff for horses. It sure did the trick. They looked great after I used it for a few weeks. We just added it to the Beet Pulp, and mixed it all together with the grain.