New to goats, have to babies, one is coughing

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by tabetha, Jul 10, 2010.

1. tabetha

tabetha New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    So Cal
    Hi,

We are first time owners, who got our babies at the feed store. They had been dropped off pretty much the day they were born, and one was really weak. After a lot of care she has been doing well. About a weak ago we realized that she was sounded wet and coughing after her night time bottle. Her temp was always fine, but I elected to start her on penicillin... its been two days so far, we give her about 1cc twice a day, and afterwards we give her 5cc of benadryl (I dont have any epinephrine so I use it as a antihistamine as well as decongestant)... I'm wondering if all this sounds good and if there is anything else I should be doing. Thanks so much, from a very concerned mommy.

2. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Hi,
    What do you know about these babies? Did they get colostrum from their momma before they were yanked? Pardon my prejudice but my initial guess would be that babies "dropped off" at a feed store probably came from a doe that hasn't had the best of care or vaccinations. How often and what are you feeding them? How much do they weigh? Normal poops? besides the cough, how's their behavior? Are they lively? hungry? Hopefully others will chime in here on the pen dosage as I've not used it on babies that young. Sometimes a baby will cough a bit after a bottle or for that matter after nursing from momma if they aspirate a little milk. It's usually not a big deal. Is this a cough that's continuing all the time?

3. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    good grief I just noticed you posted this wednesday and it's saturday already, how are your babies?

4. tabetha

tabetha New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    So Cal

Hi, no I posted today, thanks for your fast reply... I'm not sure my little on got the colostrom :( They are 2.5 months and doing better, but it was rough ride for the little one there for a while. They are now fed twice a day, and only 14 oz because they eat so much alfafa ( but not TOO much haha) They are lively and loving. Always hungry haha.. getting ready to deworm them soon actually. The cough was starting to happen at night when it started getting misty, and right before feeding time, and then would get worse for ahile after. Then after starting antibiotics the cough started during the day (like the first day or two) so I was glad we started when we did. I have some vitamin b complex but havent given it to her yet, because I"m nervous about giving more then needed to her with out an epi pen or injection on hand.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you wont need epi for B Complex.

Well they are past the crucial time that they needed that colostrum (usually 5 weeks is when they will show signs from not having it but you are past that so thats good).

Continue the Pen for 5 days. It should be 1cc per 10lbs and if you can give it twice a day thats even better.

I never give mine benadryl after giving pen its not necessary.

6. You may have a fecal done, it could be lung worms too. However, I have a few with a caugh as is one of my breeders not far dealing with it and it could be pollens etc too. I know we have SO much hay being cut that everyone's allergies is kicking in. The pen is really the only thing I would use for either if you want to help her. I would not mess with the benadryl at this age and it is also something that you want to use for special cases not a caugh. Hope that helps.

7. tabetha

tabetha New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    So Cal
    Thanks ladies, so you think the 1cc twice a day is good? Stop the bendryl, and should I go ahead and give the vit b?

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how much does the kid weight?

9. tabetha

tabetha New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    So Cal
    34lbs i believe

10. tabetha

tabetha New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    So Cal
    Also, I'm having a hard time giving the injections, I'm doing it sq with a 1/2" 20g needle.. did it once behind each front leg and then the last few times i did it between her shoulder blades, which was working ok til tonight when i tried to give it, poked her 4 times and alway met with heavy resistance and finally gave up. she's such a trooper :(

11. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    Maybe try an 18G needle? Wonder why you're meeting resistance...other than the needle gauge isn't big enough.

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I give it in the shoulders and hips. Try a longer needle

I would give her more then 1cc - more like 2ccs twice a day at least.

13. Agreed, the hip area will be better for you and Stacey is on the dose as well.

14. tabetha

tabetha New Member

Jul 8, 2010
    So Cal
    Hip as in IM? i've never given one....

15. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Sub Q on the hip too. Avoid giving penecillin IM if at all possible. Hit a blood vessel with pen and you'll kill your goat in seconds.