New To Goats, How long is gestation usually?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by pygmyIA parents, Jan 21, 2009.

1. pygmyIA parents

pygmyIA parents New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    Hello, I have been reading and learning much here and at other goat sites online. Was curious how long a pygmy goat gestation is. We have a doe who was a year old last march and we got her and a wether on November 20th. She had been with a buck for a little less then a month. She seems to have gotten wider but this is our first experience and we want to know when to start watching her for signs of labor, or when to stop hoping she is bred. :shrug:

Thanks Very much
  2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome to The Goat Spot from Idaho :wave:

Gestation is typically 145-155 with a median of 150 days. Most does will go at about 148 or so - typiccally - but they have proven us wrong before.

If you take a "cha cha" pic of her - we might be able to tell if she is preggers or not for you - but usually with those they need to be about 2 months pregnant. At 30 days post breeding, you can send a blood sample to Biotech and get a pregnancy test for $7.50 plus 5 for shipping :)

If they are having a heat cycle - typically she will flag her tail alot, talk more, squat and pee more then normal, and you may even see the wether mount her and she will "stand" for him doing that instead of running.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    welcome!! Seems like Kelebek took care of your questions.

To calculate a due date try this link -- (I dislike counting 150 days on a calendar, takes to long ;) )
  4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome! If she was with the buck when you got her in November, I would say that she should be due in mid April....the lin that Stacey posted is great...though please do subtract 5 days to get youtr date for 145...typically they can deliver anytime from 145 days to 155,

And please do post piccies!
  5. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    It looks like they have pretty well covered your question :wink: And as Liz said, we would LOVE to see pics when you get the chance! :love:
  6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Just wanted to say Welcome to TGS. I live in PA now, but I was born and raised in Iowa (Des Moines), although I've been gone a long time. We love pics!
  7. pygmyIA parents

pygmyIA parents New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    Re: New To Goats, How long is gestation usually?(withPictures

I tried to take some pictures today and somehow in the pictures she doesn't look pregnant at all.
    What color are they also ? I mean like what is the technical term for it.She is the brown one he is the white one.
    The girl is Tempy (temprence Brennen) and the wether is Seeley Booth from the TV show on Fox Bones.
  8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Tempy (great name by the way) is a light Camel and Seeley Booth (hehe great name too) is a White Carmel.

Yah pictures dotn always show their size right
  9. griffin45

griffin45 New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Chatham, Va
    In the first picture she looks slightly out of the normal barrel shape for a Pygmy. She has a slight bulge on the right that could indicate that she is pregnant. The problem with looking at conformation in suspected pregnant goats is that they don't show much in the way of pregnancy until the last 3 weeks. I bought a trio of Nigerian Dwarfs and just about a month before she freshened we were certain she was pregnant. Up to then we just suspected and treated her like she was.

10. rebelshope

rebelshope New Member

Sep 20, 2008
    You have a very pretty little doe!

As I am waiting for my first doe to kid I will tell you that gestation takes forever while you are waiting.