The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am from Wisconsin. Just bought 5 goats under the age of 3 months within the last month all from different farms! Having a few issues and this site was recommended by several people from Facebook...so here I am! I've wanted goats for several years now, I plan to have a small home dairy and meat production when it is all said and done. My husband and I live on a newly bought very old homestead of 66 acres with our 2 children. We're very excited about this new journey but also very anxious because it seems like it is coming at us from all sides. We have one with suspected radial nerve damage from a fall....one who keeps getting frothy bloat...two with soremouth, and one who has been a challenge to get to eat...and is acting VERY sick...it's been interesting so far. Looking for mainly support, networking and advice!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Goodness you have your hands full! Welcome to the forum.

I would check all of the goats' FAMACHA scores (that's the color of their inner eyelids).

I would also get fecal testing done as soon as humanly possible.

Make sure to separate the two with soremouth and be cautious as you can get it too -- but it does need to run its course. Can you post some photos? Has a vet confirmed what it is? A lot of things can look like soremouth.

Are these all does, wethers, bucks?

Sorry to bombard with questions -- but, the one who keeps getting bloated, are you keeping them on lush pasture?

I would be giving all of them daily probiotic gel.

Can you describe the one that is acting "very sick"?

If the goat does not have an appetite I recommend injectable b complex.

What are you currently feeding them?

Do they have loose minerals available? If not, you should definitely get some as soon as possible.

If I were you I would get everyone started on garlic daily as well, 1 clove each. They need a fresh start with some immune boosting, it sounds.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Welcome to TGS! We are very glad to have you here! Wish it wasn't on not so great circumstances though. Answering some of the questions above can help us try and help you more. Posting a new thread in Health and Wellness and will probably get more responses and we can better help you there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello welcome to the goat spot super AWESOME site!!!!!!! I also live in Wisconsin so,if you need more local help,i and many others are here!!!!!

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum!:cowboy:

Reactions: PetLover

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Goodness you have your hands full! Welcome to the forum.

I would check all of the goats' FAMACHA scores (that's the color of their inner eyelids).

I would also get fecal testing done as soon as humanly possible.

Make sure to separate the two with soremouth and be cautious as you can get it too -- but it does need to run its course. Can you post some photos? Has a vet confirmed what it is? A lot of things can look like soremouth.

Are these all does, wethers, bucks?

Sorry to bombard with questions -- but, the one who keeps getting bloated, are you keeping them on lush pasture?

I would be giving all of them daily probiotic gel.

Can you describe the one that is acting "very sick"?

If the goat does not have an appetite I recommend injectable b complex.

What are you currently feeding them?

Do they have loose minerals available? If not, you should definitely get some as soon as possible.

If I were you I would get everyone started on garlic daily as well, 1 clove each. They need a fresh start with some immune boosting, it sounds.
I agree, we need a little more detail.

Welcome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts