New to goats *weight question*

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by speeddemon, Apr 28, 2010.

1. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    I'm new! I recently aquired three boers. The two wethers are Febuary babies and doing well but not interested in food, but they are not thin. The doe is due to kid in a few weeks and she is very underweight and is showing a lot of interest in food. Her spine is very visible and I'm extremely worried :sigh:

What is a good goat feed for putting weight on her and is there anything else I can do for my girl? I was told not to worm her before she kidded. Oh, and she is two years old. The feed I was given for the wethers says it is not safe for lactating goats so I am unsure as to what is best for her.

I could use some help, guys. I really love these goats and the poor preggo girl just isn't doing well. :help:

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Take a fecal sample to your vet to see if she needs wormed. You can worm her if she is pregnant...and should if she needs it done. Ivomec and safeguard are okay to use on preggo does but they treat different types of worms so you need to know what she is having trouble with...or if she has something else going on. If she is already getting grain you might want to try adding beat pulp and maybe a small amount (no more than 1 tbs) of veg. oil to her food. Make sure that she has constant access to the best hay you can get.

3. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Look up Garlic Barrier. I use it o everybody. It even helps with fly's and skeeters. :)

Gina

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the feed you have the young boers on probably has a cocci medication -- you can feed this to her you just cant consume the milk thats what the label is referring to.

what kind of hay are they getting?

how much are you feeding each of them?

yes you can worm pregnant goats - but as was stated you should get a fecal done first.

5. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    The hay is a mixture of alfalfa and grass hay. With her she she is just getting a tiny bit of grain and i am slowly giving her more as she hasn't been on it previously. I feel much better now that I know she can have the feed. Good about the worming, too!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome to TGS...glad you are here... :wink: :wave:

Definitely get a fecal done...she and the wethers...may have worms or cocci....

Yes.. a pregnant doe can be wormed with Ivomac injectable for cattle..... put it down the throat 1cc per 33 lbs
    But Be cautious ...as not all wormers ...can be used on preggo does....one is Valbezen...... Feel free to ask us.... what can be used...

It seems odd ...that the wethers aren't eating... but they aren't thin.... :scratch: are you sure ...they are not just bloaty and it is hiding being thin...? Do you have any pics of them?

Alfalfa and grass hay... is OK ...I would give straight Alfalfa... if you are trying to put weight on them... plus graining....do it slowly ...so they can get use to it though... good luck :hug:

7. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    I wormed the wethers. Here are pictures of them. They are both about 44 lbs. They have some belly on them but not bad I don't think.
    Wether #1- http://tinypic.com/r/1zxxely/5
    Wether #2- http://tinypic.com/r/11rpqop/5

And thanks. I really want to show the wethers 4h this year and get the girl healthy and maybe show her babies. Wether #2 isn't that great, but I really like #1.

8. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Definitely give her alfalfa too...start adding it to her grass hay her poop might get a little clumpy or runny with too quick a change over.
    A generous handful of BOSS in her grain as well.

9. I think you have very good info here. I also have a mix that will put good meat on your goats. Let me know if you are interested and I can get it to you. You may want to look into some mineral tubs as well. There is clearly things missing from their diets and it is not at a lack of you trying. As for the feed, feed it as if you were feeding any other goat. Cup in the morning and cup in the evening. Good luck.

10. speeddemon

speeddemon New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Thanks but I like the stuff I have. It has show bloom in it and I'm supplementing that with calf manna for the wethers (talked to my neighbor who shows).

I've only had them since Monday.