The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
L.A.M.E.Acres
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting! We are new to goats and have just gotten 2 nubian does in milk(a week ago). We had 2 jersey dairy cows that we were milking and we decided to sell them and switch to milk goats! Problem we are having right now is that the youngest doe we got just kidded a month ago and was producing a gal a day. Now when we got her here she was very stressed out etc for the first 4-5 days and was hardly eating her alfalfa or dairy grain! So unfortunately her milk production has drastically dropped off to only a quart a day! She is finally getting comfortable with us and our milking routine but now I don't know if there is any way to get her milk production back up? Any help would be much appreciated!

Also what does everyone suggest for the best goat cheese making book and also goat soap making book? Thanks everyone for the help!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
it will probably come back some. our goats drop off when the weather is bad or there is stress of some sort. just give her high quality second cutting hay and about 16% sweet feed and she should come back. i've heard that cheese makers journey is a good book. i get alot of recipes on line even for goat lotion and soap.

·
L.A.M.E.Acres
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice! The one doe who I was talking about is doing great milking now and follows me around like she is attached to my hip! She very sweet but I think she has separation anxiety! Whenever I leave she freaks out! We can't get her to eat when we give her her hay/grain. So that leads to our other problem our other doe is eating all the food and getting fat while this one isn't getting enough and is getting skinny! We have tried separating them during feeding time but the one girl freaks out about that a still doesn't eat! My husband is getting really frustrated with her and we really aren't sure what else to do!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts