The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, My husband and I have a small farm here at our house. We have recently gained a 6 month old ND Buckling. Our children named him Romeo. :) We went shopping the day before his arrival. We have everything he need for food, maintenance/grooming, Medications/Vaccinations, housing etc. We will be getting him a companion in 2 weeks, when she is ready for sale. I am sure you could guess what her name will be. :) I can't wait to meet new people and make new friends here on the forums. I am doing so much reading on here and I am enjoying all stories. My brain is on sponge mode. lol The seller of Romeo told me he had dewormed him 4 days prior and we had to give him his CD-T today. The only information that we have on him is his age.

Here is Romeo (6 months) He has very long hair at this time. It is helping him with the cooler temps we are having.
Picture #1
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y538/Mysticfly/Buckling2_zps0d918d57.jpg
Picture #2
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y538/Mysticfly/Buckling3_zps31270840.jpg

Could you give me any insight on how he looks and if in fact he does look pure Nigerian Dwarf?

Any help would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks Everyone !!

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
He is indeed a pure nigerian dwarf :)

I would consider getting him banded. At 6 months old, he will be able to breed, and when you get your doe, he will try and breed her. It she is young, this can cause lots of problems. Also, bucks will pee on themselves and are VERY VERY VERY stinky!!! I would NOT keep an intact buck as your first goat... It takes a lot of disciplining to make them behave. A wether (banded male) is MUCH better. Another reason to band him is because you don't know if he is CAE/CL/Jonhes disease free, do you?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just talked with Romeo's previous owner. He told me that he has been tested for those and he is indeed free of them. He was bottle fed from birth and he is very tame to us and our kids. His wife had all the books with her at the time of sale. He said he would get back with me with more information and I just talked with him :) The doe we will be getting soon is 3 1/2 years old and she was bred to a blue eyed ND Buck that is not related to her or Romeo. She has been tested as well and is free of them.

This is the doe we will be getting.

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y538/Mysticfly/Doe_zpsfcf9b0b9.jpg

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Okay that is good. Looks like they could both use a little weight before breeding. Another thing - after breeding the doe and buck will need to be separated until you want them bred again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Scottyhorse. :) I do understand about the weight issue. The previous owner was trying his best to allow Romeo to eat separate from the others because he was being bullied, since he was the smallest of everyone. The doe also was being bullied by others in his herd. He wanted to rehome them so they wouldn't get hurt anymore. Our arms are open to both of them. She should already be bred from another buck when we get her. We will have them separated but close to each other to have companionship. Again thank you.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Thank you Scottyhorse. :) I do understand about the weight issue. The previous owner was trying his best to allow Romeo to eat separate from the others because he was being bullied, since he was the smallest of everyone. The doe also was being bullied by others in his herd. He wanted to rehome them so they wouldn't get hurt anymore. Our arms are open to both of them. She should already be bred from another buck when we get her. We will have them separated but close to each other to have companionship. Again thank you.
Sounds great :grin: Most breeders sell wethers for $50-$75, I would get them each a companion :) Where are ya located?

·
www.wildheartsranch.org
2,340 Posts
IMHO, a bottle baby buck is much worse because they think people are their "herd" and that they can boss them around like they would other goats. I'd much rather have a dam raised buck who's been handled just enough that you can do meds, feet etc, but that will stay out of your way otherwise. And like Scottyhorse said, they STINK! The only good reason to keep a buck is if you're breeding numerous does and want close control of the genetics - otherwise it's easier to just lease one for breeding or take your doe to him.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I totally agree with Zebra. We have two bucks, one how is insanely friendly and one who is quite shy. I will say I prefer the shy one, especially when they are in rut. The super friendly one is a Pygmy, but if he doesn't know someone, or someone doesn't assert dominance over him, he is a very dangerous little guy. They are MUCH stronger than they look, and can be very dangerous. I would really consider castrating him, especially if you only have one doe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
We decided to get a wether buck for Romeo as a companion and have them setup away from our doe we are getting. We also might get another doe (young or older) to be with the doe. We going to leave Romeo intact for future breeding with our doe or does. The kids have grown on Romeo so much already. They can't wait for the new additions. :)

Just a general question. Would anyone know the name of color pattern Romeo is and his soon to be companion?

Romeo
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y538/Mysticfly/Buckling3_zps31270840.jpg
Juliet
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y538/Mysticfly/Doe_zpsfcf9b0b9.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.