NEW TO KIDDING IN NEED OF TIPS

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Hannah, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    I am new to kidding what do I need to do to my doe who is 4 months pregnant maybe. I made a big mistake by not writing down the exact date. so what vaccinations, feed, minerals, hay ect. She is on a milkers feed and I changed her to alfalfa hay a month ago because thats what it said in the book. I also just got her some minerals. She has baking soda free chose in her pen. The minerals are also free choose. I have an old horse that lives with them so they have food minerals ect. at night and they have bushes, grass, and leaves all day. Am I doing this right? She is getting her shots the 17 by the vet. She is being tested for CAE and Johne's. Is that all she needs? When the kids are born what do I need to give them? If my doe has three kids do I need to bottle feed? what do I need to have in the barn when they are born?(kidding kit?) Do I need to line the stall with feed sacks?(bottom and top). Sorry there is so many questions. Thanks!

2. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    I recommend going to fiascofarms.com for kidding tips. Great goat site.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Heres a link to a topic here at TGS that will help with supplies you may need
    viewtopic.php?f=16&t=354

Most here give their expecting does a CD/T vaccination 4 weeks prior to delivery, as far as triplets..mom can handle them, what I do though is to be sure that each gets colostrum within 1-2 hours of birth as well as make sure that each are nursing well.

4. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    these are my first kids so I am sorry I don't know this. What would I need nutradrench for? When and would I give calcium? Were would I get it? Doesn't the does clostrum have calcium in it? How much and why would I need to give the kids coffe? I read the post that Liz recommended and one said she gives Coulophllum, pulsatilla, sepia,antimonium tart, and calc Pho. They give some of these to the does before birth and to the kids. What are these for and do I need to give them. Were would I get these? What would I need alcohal, banaminc, and pinnicillin for and why would I need them? What kind of wormer and how much do I give? Would I need syringes and surgical scissors? I am sorry I have so many questions but the books I have read have helped very little with this subject. Thanks for answering!

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What would I need nutradrench for? Nutridrench is a source of vitamins and minerals that can help when a kid just isn't perking up and it will give mom extra to regain her strength after delivery
    When and would I give calcium? Were would I get it? Doesn't the does clostrum have calcium in it? Calcium is what the doe needs to help maintain her normal levels during pregnancy, delivery and lactation, Calcium Drench or a Calcium gel/paste is available to give during labor, if you are feeding an alfalfa hay or pellets, they are likely getting enough.Yes, a does colostrum will have enough of all the good stuff for babies to get a good start, supplementing calcium is more for the doe than the babies
    How much and why would I need to give the kids coffe? I read the post that Liz recommended and one said she gives Coulophllum, pulsatilla, sepia,antimonium tart, and calc Pho. They give some of these to the does before birth and to the kids. What are these for and do I need to give them. Were would I get these?The coffee/whiskey/karo mixture is to help warm a weak kid when a problem arises, it's not given routinely.The others are not something I'm familiar with, most are the Herbal equivalent of the supplements that can be used for new moms and babies.
    What kind of wormer and how much do I give?Most here worm the doe within a day of delivery because the stress a birth causes can sometimes bring about a worm overload, there are different wormers for different worms, Ivermectin is one that still works for many parasites.
    Would I need syringes and surgical scissors? I keep scissors along with unwaxed dental floss in my kid kit for trimming umbilical cords AFTER I have tied them off if they are too long.

There is no problem at all with asking questions, it's always best to ask about something that you aren't sure of :hug:

6. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    thanks that sure helps a lot. what about extra colostrum?

7. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Great info :)

Do you have BoSe? Do you know if you live in a selenium deficient area? You can ask a vet if you do or not.
    If you aren't comfortable giving newborn kids a shot, you can order selenium e gel for goats from Jeffers.com or check your local feed stores to see if they have any.
    The only issue I've had at all with 8 kids born this year is selenium deficiency. We use the gel and they were fine after getting the gel :)
    Signs of deficiency is being very weak at birth and not having a sucking reflex.
    We don't give our girls selenium during pregnancy right now because there is selenium in their grain and minerals and we don't want to overdose them on selenium. So... right after the kid stands and nurses we give them the recommended doseage on the tube - the gel melts on your finger - super easy to use and just put it in the back of the kids mouth on your finger.

I use an empty, clean water bottle to put some iodine in for dipping the umbilical cord in.

If you live in a colder climate, you might have some sweaters just in case you need them. I have boer/mixes and bought toddler sweatshirts size 18 months, cut off the sleeves, and put those on the kids if they get too cold. You can also cut off the sleeve of a sweatshirt and put holes for the legs and that works.
    Dog sweaters too....

Good Luck! :)

8. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    ok thanks I am glade I don't have to give the BoSe shot.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    As far as "extra colostrum"....most does have enough to get the kids through the first 12 hours, after that colostrum loses it's strength as far as antibodies go and though there will still be traces in her milk for a few days, it's what the kid gets in those first hours that is most beneficial.