The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! So I'm new to kidding, and my doe is going to have kids in the spring! I'm SOOO excited, yet SOOO nervous! I was wondering if any of you have suggestions of things to do, things to get, etc? Or like a "walk through" type thing of the kidding day and whatnot? Any tips/help or anything about kidding in general is appreciated!!! Thanks!

·
14,615 Posts
There's some good info in other threads, just scroll down to the bottom of this page.
Read up all you can; what to be aware of when doe is close, any distress signs, things you will need to have on hand.
Most kiddings go smoothly in spite her of human tearing their hair out.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Yay for kidding! It's always so exciting to see the little kids causing ruckus in the barn during kidding season (whenever that may be) :D

I'll give you a few pointers that are good to have around this time

Rule #1- You needn't be nervous about your doe kidding while she is 2 days pregnant. Yes this is a rule. Yes I have had to remind myself about this ;)

I would watch plenty of kidding videos on YouTube, because they are very informative and there is nothing like seeing how it is done. Around 2-4 weeks before the doe's due date, make a kidding kit full of supplies that will come in handy on the big day. Here's a super good sticky thread on the subject- http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f197/kidding-supplies-101276/

For now, make sure your doe is nice and taken care of- don't overdue grain (especially in the last month of gestation), make sure feet trimming is always up-to-date, DO NOT deworm with Valbazen during pregnancy, perhaps get her tested to be sure that she is pregnant, use CD&T vaccine 1 month before her due date (some do it at other times), be sure that she is a happy pregnant goat, and enjoy the ride!!!

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's some good info in other threads, just scroll down to the bottom of this page.
Read up all you can; what to be aware of when doe is close, any distress signs, things you will need to have on hand.
Most kiddings go smoothly in spite her of human tearing their hair out.
Haha yeah, that's mostly what I've heard-> the goats are fine but the humans FREAK! Lol, yeah I've read several goat books cover to cover... So... I know a lot, just SO nervous! I know it will be another 9-10 months, but still, just the thought makes me nervous! But I CANNOT WAIT! I laugh because I might miss a school day because my goats are giving birth :) just the thought calling into school with that reason makes me laugh! Lol

·
Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit
3,746 Posts
We keep our does in a kidding stall separate from the rest of the herd 5 days prior from the kidding date. You have to check the tail ligiments right behind her tail. They feel like pencils. Keep feeling as you think she's getting close. Keep squeezing until one day it's mush. When the ligs turn to mush that means its 6 to eight hours away from the kidding. We make sure there is someone home. Either me, my mom or my dad. Once the ligs go mush we check her about every 30 mins. We let mom do all the work but stay close and assist ONLY IF NEEDEED. Right when baby comes out you need to get the gross slime off of its mouth and make sure it can breathe. We make sure that mom cleans the baby and gives it an opportunity to bond. Make sure they nurse. They HAVE to have the colstrum after they are born. If they don't nurse an hour after the kidding let them know where the teat is so they will nurse. The only supplies we keep are heat lamps in the event it's very cold. We keep towels out to keep the babies dry once the mom are done.

This is based on our experience. We are not experts.

One more thing... Watch the radar. When it's storming, hailing, or snowing JUMP into action. So what I am saying, they will always. Always
Have the kids at the worst time possible.

I would recommend you watch The does secret code of honor made by thgoatmentor on youtube. It's about kidding.

Have a chaotic or cough cough great! time kidding! Haha

Caden,

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We keep our does in a kidding stall separate from the rest of the herd 5 days prior from the kidding date. You have to check the tail ligiments right behind her tail. They feel like pencils. Keep feeling as you think she's getting close. Keep squeezing until one day it's mush. When the ligs turn to mush that means its 6 to eight hours away from the kidding. We make sure there is someone home. Either me, my mom or my dad. Once the ligs go mush we check her about every 30 mins. We let mom do all the work but stay close and assist ONLY IF NEEDEED. Right when baby comes out you need to get the gross slime off of its mouth and make sure it can breathe. We make sure that mom cleans the baby and gives it an opportunity to bond. Make sure they nurse. They HAVE to have the colstrum after they are born. If they don't nurse an hour after the kidding let them know where the teat is so they will nurse. The only supplies we keep are heat lamps in the event it's very cold. We keep towels out to keep the babies dry once the mom are done.

This is based on our experience. We are not experts.

One more thing... Watch the radar. When it's storming, hailing, or snowing JUMP into action. So what I am saying, they will always. Always
Have the kids at the worst time possible.

I would recommend you watch The does secret code of honor made by thgoatmentor on youtube. It's about kidding.

Have a chaotic or cough cough great! time kidding! Haha

Caden,
About the nursing-> we will be bottle feeding them, so just curious, do we milk out her colostrum and bottle feed it to them or what?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hehe, this is when the Doe Code comes into play. Of course she will wait till you leave for school!
See, I have this feeling she will go into labor and stuff at like 8 PM but not give birth until like 3AM! And she will give birth on most likely the coldest, rainy/snowy -est possible night at like 1-4 AM lol :D

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
See, I have this feeling she will go into labor and stuff at like 8 PM but not give birth until like 3AM! And she will give birth on most likely the coldest, rainy/snowy -est possible night at like 1-4 AM lol :D
Forget it, she wont kid while you are home! :laugh: She'll wait until the coldest, rainy/snowy-est possible day, 15 minutes after everyone leaves for school and work ;)

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forget it, she wont kid while you are home! :laugh: She'll wait until the coldest, rainy/snowy-est possible day, 15 minutes after everyone leaves for school and work ;)
I would be so mad! Except it would've a great surprise after school!

·
3,746 Posts
About the nursing-> we will be bottle feeding them, so just curious, do we milk out her colostrum and bottle feed it to them or what?
Ok about bottle feeding. We let the baby nurse and get the colostrum and then take her off of mom. Bottle feeding is a LOT OF WORK they have to be fed 4 times a day. In the morning. Afternoon. Evening. 11 at night. There are pros and cons to bottle feeding though. They will learn their name and come running to you every time you come near the pasture. If the kid is dam raised there is less work in feeding the baby, the mother and baby can bond, etc

As long as you let them nurse from mom and get the colostrum when they are born they will be good. Have a nice time bottle feeding.

Here's a tip. You will probably chose not to bottle feed again.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok about bottle feeding. We let the baby nurse and get the colostrum and then take her off of mom. Bottle feeding is a LOT OF WORK they have to be fed 4 times a day. In the morning. Afternoon. Evening. 11 at night. There are pros and cons to bottle feeding though. They will learn their name and come running to you every time you come near the pasture. If the kid is dam raised there is less work in feeding the baby, the mother and baby can bond, etc

As long as you let them nurse from mom and get the colostrum when they are born they will be good. Have a nice time bottle feeding.

Here's a tip. You will probably chose not to bottle feed again.
The people we got my goats from when they were kids, always have bottle-fed their goats, because they turn out so much more friendlier. They also said they loved bottle feeding- I tried it and I loved it too! They had one goat that they left on her dam, and she was the most skittish thing ever! I'd rather have friendly goats than skittish ones! :) I love the relationship I have with my goats now, and I bottle-fed them the first week I had them, so that's definitely what I'm going with!

·
3,746 Posts
Ok! What ever you would prefer. Just as long as they get the colostrum everything will be hunky dory! If you have any further questions about kidding, let me know!

·
3,746 Posts
Sorry I forgot I was going to put this. We don't have a huge herd so the babies are limited. We get to play with all of the to keep them friendly. 89 percent of the babies born are super friendly here. But if you would prefer bottle feeding, that's up to you!

You can see the average amount of babies born on our farm every year at www.cadeslilfarm.com

I have one question for you.... What breed of oats do you have?

Caden,

·
3,746 Posts
Haha yeah, that's mostly what I've heard-> the goats are fine but the humans FREAK! Lol, yeah I've read several goat books cover to cover... So... I know a lot, just SO nervous! I know it will be another 9-10 months, but still, just the thought makes me nervous! But I CANNOT WAIT! I laugh because I might miss a school day because my goats are giving birth :) just the thought calling into school with that reason makes me laugh! Lol
Yeah I knew it was getting close so I couldn't even read my book or hardly do anything i was supposed to do because I was thinking about it so much. The phone rings. Caden you are leaving. Huh!:eek: I didn't even take my books home I was supposed to I just grabbed my lunchbox and took off. We came home to the sight of BUCKwheat and Bullseye just getting their sea legs. This has happened on more than one occasion too.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice! Lol, I have Nubians, and I'm getting mini Nubians and possibly Pygmys

·
3,746 Posts
Cool about the minis! Our minis were impossible to find! If you get a few Pygmy bucks you could cross them with Nubians to make kinders! You would need to get about 5 Pygmy bucks to get enough generations in on the kinders though. What breeder are you getting your mini nubes from?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cool about the minis! Our minis were impossible to find! If you get a few Pygmy bucks you could cross them with Nubians to make kinders! You would need to get about 5 Pygmy bucks to get enough generations in on the kinders though. What breeder are you getting your mini nubes from?
I don't remember... :/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts