new to rabbits... what kind?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by minibarn, Jul 25, 2010.

1. minibarn

minibarn Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    we recently got 3 rex bunnies. 2 of them weigh approx 1 pound each and the 3rd is bigger. we assume the small ones are only 2 months old or less. could they be a mini rex? or do you think they're full size?

Attached Files:

2. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    They're VERY pretty, I LOVE that color. Looks to me like they're just younger than the other (could they possibly be her kits?).
    Congratulations on them.
    -Tina

3. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    we don't know for sure but think they all look like males. not sure what to look for. :?

4. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Oh, I think I misunderstood the question. Are you asking if all three rabbits are minis? How old is the child in the background (for a little size perspective)?
    Tina

5. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    yes, i'm wondering if they're all minis. my son in the background is 10 yrs old. he loves all critters!

6. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    In that case, they look full size to me. They sure are pretty...enjoy them.
    -Tina

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I'd say full size, standard rex!

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    sexing is easy.. you flip them on their backs and ifthe older on e is male.. testicles will be present.on the other two the testicles mayor may not have dropped yet.. so you'll have to check the vent/privates.. there are tons of links on theweb to helpwith pictures

9. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    here's another pic of my 10 yr old holding one of the small bunnies which i assume is less than 8 weeks old. still think they're standard size?

Attached Files:

10. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    if this is a standard male, can i breed him to a mini female? would the babies be mini?

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    DO NOT BREED IT TO A MINI. that would just result in the loss of the doe. the doe would have to be the standard and the buck the mini. and no they would not be minis.

12. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    They sure look to be standards ecspecially if the one your son is holding is young..... Absolutley do not breed a mini doe with a standard buck The babies will be too big for her, if one of the younger rabbits is a doe or the larger you can breed it to a mini buck but the result won't be mini rexes. My adult male mini rex maybe weighs 2-3 pounds full grown. Therefore about as much as your guessing your little ones to weigh. If your looking for mini's you'll have to get mini's to start with and then you can breed mini to mini but stardard to min only makes for slightly smaller stock not true mini's. Good Luck and by the way they are beautiful rabbits.

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    mini rex have a maximum weight of 4 1/2 pounds for does and 4 1/4 pounds for bucks. standard rex are around 7-9 pounds.

14. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    Re: new to rabbits... what kind? 1 bunny is injured!

this am one of the small bunnies had a bloody injury on his side! it looks like a bite or 2 and flesh torn back a bit. quite messy! but it didn't bleed much or not by the time we found it. do you think one of the other 2 bunnies did this? no others of our animals would have access except the cats if they'd stick their paws in the cage and it was certainly more than a cat scratch! we put the bigger bunny in a separate pen in case it was him. still not sure if the smaller ones are female or not.

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    contrary to popular belief rabbits do best in solitary cages.. I turn mineout in groups of 2 or 3but after 8-10 weeks they're in single cages.

16. maple hill farm tina

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    Sarah's right. Rabbits will fight terribly with one another. My rabbits did the same thing until I put them in separated cages. Also, if you have a fisher in your area (a weasel-like animal that LOVES all small farm animals - including cats, rabbits, etc), they are known to be able to pull pieces of animals from between the wires in cages. (We lost several keets to one a couple of weeks ago). How is the rabbit now?
    -Tina

17. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I used to be a pro at telling the sex of rabbits. Used to raise them. Things you should know are:

SDK is right, they like cages together, if you put them side by side with another one though, make sure you don't switch them unless they don't like each other, in a sense, they are like goats, and they get attatched to their neighbor.

If you breed them, don't put the male in the female's home, it works better if the female is taken to the male's home, otherwise, she may tear him a new side.

I would refrain from having them give birth in the winter, lost many babies from that.

18. minibarn

Jul 20, 2010
    ontario canada
    the bunny is doing fine. i put ointment on the wounds and she's been acting normal all day. tonight the new bunny pens were finished so now they each have their own space. they all seemed quite pleased!

19. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    or a possum/coon will do it too.. but im 95% sure its them fighting, especially if they're still in with thte bigger one

20. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    Hope your little one is doing better. I have two rescue rabbits, both of which have been fixed. My lop was fixed when I got her and originally I had tried to put her in with a male rabbit I had at the time and they would have fought until one of them stopped moving they even drew blood on me. Really shocking to look at a rabbit and think that was violent. So when I got Charlie Brown my mini rex who I got fixed once he came to my house I thought there wasn't a chance they'd get along but I was wrong they fell in love instantly they have been together now for quite some time and not one of them has ever acted the slightest bit put off by the other one. However I learned that they will injure eachother and if they don't like eachother theres not alot your going to be able to do about it. But i think there are instances where they do like eachothers company.