The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So. It seems we will be gettin two bottle rams tomorrow. Eep! I need a crash course and a good reference book. Paul says not the storeys guide. It not have practical stuff in them. They are three days old.

i do know about the copper thing and mineral. They are grazers. But that bout it.

kadhin/blackbelly. They will eventually become freezer fodder for us.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Raising sheep the modern way. it was my bible when i was just starting.
feeding lambs is easier than goats.
goat milk works realy good for bottle babies.
do not over feed a ewe will only produce 3/4 of a gallon a day so that is the limit of what you should feed daily. the lambs will want more but it is not good for them.
the first week feed the lambs 4 times a day. 6 to 8 ounces. a feeding.
The second week feed three times a day but increase the milk fed to 12 to 14 oz a feeding. have hay free choice.
week 3 feed two times a day. not over 16 oz a feeding. add yeast to the milk to start the ruman.
week five taper the milk over the next two weeks tell weened.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks darlin!

We decided not to get them. Paul said he had not read that sheep would/could get johnes and cl. I had to put down a beautiful doe last year for cl and never again will i risk not seein herd testings (where i got the doe from did test but kinda gave me half truths on my doe... she had not had her long and came up on a waitlist and needed to sell one doe to get another... so my doe had not been tested). ;(. I was talkin to a friend today and she said most sheeple round here at least do not test for johnes and cl..... and i am soooo not riskin my goats or calves. This guy did not test.

So this spring when i really start lookin i will have knowledge (i ordered the book today) and know to ask do they test. If i cannot find anyone that does i will ask if they will test a few ewes and me get lambs from those ewes. I would pay for the tests gladly. If i cannot find ones that test that is the only other way i can think of doin it.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Testing ewes for lambs won't cover Johnes which could be in the soil from any positive animal or on manure from shoes or hooves tracked from other pens. It so hard to know that a flock or herd is truly Johnes negative!
Oh dang! I didn't think of that. Thank you!

Paul and i were talkin tonight about all of this. He knows someone through his workin at southern states and doin electric work (they are friends with the guy works with doin the electric work) at their home with sheep. He said they had maybe a total of twenty sheep.. rams, ewes and lambs. So maybe an option for us would be to pay to have all of their adults tested? Would that work do you think?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
It could definitely work if it has been a "closed" flock without many purchases or tons of buying & selling in recent years. Its so tough because an adult sheep sold 6 months ago that had normal poops could still have shed the bacteria! And that very sheep could have tested false negative at a year old to boot. Its the devil! Now that I know all about it, I'm paralyzed by fear buying from anyone!

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It could definitely work if it has been a "closed" flock without many purchases or tons of buying & selling in recent years. Its so tough because an adult sheep sold 6 months ago that had normal poops could still have shed the bacteria! And that very sheep could have tested false negative at a year old to boot. Its the devil! Now that I know all about it, I'm paralyzed by fear buying from anyone!
I will have him ask. :). I am sure you are! I am kinda like that with cl now too. ;(.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Years ago I was wanting some bottle lambs for meat. Couldn’t find anyone that tested and then found out that lambs all getting soremouth was the norm. :eek::eek::eek:

So I know that it wouldn’t be raising it yourself... but what is you just purchased an adult that’s ready for slaughter, and process it?
What tests would you run? With the cost of whole-herd testing for CAE,CL, and would be over $365 assuming you use Rollins and UC Davis. Unless you were talking about just doing Johnes testing?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
CL in sheep is different than in goats. the biggest difference is the hide on a sheep is thicker and the cysts do not pop as easy as on a goat. and the other difference is sheep have wool than prevents the cysts from being scraped. another interesting thing about sheep CL is the older the sheep is the better chance they have it. just by culling your ewes at age 7 will prevent the spread. Cl is spread by shearing and the cysts being cut. as a Shepard i realy stress the cleaning of the shears before i let them shear my sheep. and any time the shearer finds a cyst they Must tell me so i can separate and cull the ewe. with in two years of implementation the clean shearing procedures i cleaned up my herd. i have not had a ewe culled because of CL in years.the chance a lamb bringing CL to your place is very low. CAE is not a sheep disease to my knowledge.
goats gave my sheep sore mouth. now about every two or three years i have a small flair up. but not as bad as the first three years. there seems to be some immunity given lambs from there mother.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Years ago I was wanting some bottle lambs for meat. Couldn't find anyone that tested and then found out that lambs all getting soremouth was the norm. :eek::eek::eek:

So I know that it wouldn't be raising it yourself... but what is you just purchased an adult that's ready for slaughter, and process it?
What tests would you run? With the cost of whole-herd testing for CAE,CL, and would be over $365 assuming you use Rollins and UC Davis. Unless you were talking about just doing Johnes testing?
we just gotta see how many adults and over six months they have. :). And how much bringin they do. I think. This is just a theory. Lol!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Although both internal and external CL occurs in both sheep and goats, sheep more commonly have internal CL which is harder to diagnose. Goats typically have CL abscesses show up externally, but they can still get them in their udders, lungs, etc like sheep.

Its zoonotic. That means it can pass to other animals - including humans. It isn’t commonly found in other livestock, but it does occur in pigs, cows, etc. The same bacteria causes pigeon fever in horses.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts