The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Becca here! I joined because I want to get as much goat knowledge possible before I actually get a couple of them. Currently reading "The Backyard Goat" by Sue Weaver and learning about breeds. If anyone has any other reading or website recommendations I'd love to hear em! Also, I'd be interested in being a free farm hand this fall to anyone who wants to teach someone all about goats hands-on. I'm about an hour east of Portland in the foothills of Mt. Hood, OR.

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
welcome! It's really helpful for answering questions I hope you enjoy the goats and goat spot.

·
Goat Crazy!
6,481 Posts
Greetings from the other end of the continent: Maine. I have 1 Nubian, 1 Nigerian, 1 LaMancha and goat babies on the way. The Goat Spot is a fabulous place to ask questions. However, you'll need to remember that you will get some conflicting advice. YOU are the owner of your goats. YOU know them better than anyone else. Read alot, ask alot, think alot. Then make your own decisions about how you house, feed, vaccinate, wean, etc. Goats are wonderful animals. ENJOY yours!

·
Registered
31,433 Posts
welcome from central texas..

Here are a few good sights to read on everything you can imagine about goat care:

tennesseemeatgoats.com ( very as a matter of fact lol..but very good)
Goat-link.com (This writer is an immunalogist and loves her goats..she too is very good)
fiascofarms.com ( this is more of a holistic approach to goat care and has good info too)

best of luck : )

·
I'm watching you
22,532 Posts
Welcome Becca, how would you feel about a field trip? I will be taking my vacation this year at a campground near Dufer. You would be welcome to come up for a day, or two if you camp, and meet my boys, hike with them, and be shown some hands on.
It would be fun and give DH a chance to run off to the lake to fish for a while.
If you'd be interested, I'll let you know the particulars.

·
I'm watching you
22,532 Posts
where on oregon coast are you from? I am from tillamook oregon and I have 8 nigerian dwarf goats,just had 4 babies.
I am up Hwy 22 from Hebo. I raise large breed experimentals and pack goats. We do most of our training at Pacific City. I've had goats in the family for almost 40 years now. My dad always had goats and was not bad at caring for them.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
welcome BECCA!! i would read storey's goat book also keeping livestock healthy. 4-H puts out a series of books that are about$3 each, the first one is about the different breeds and what you need to get started. i think storey puts put a kids book on goats which is the basics but my 10 yr old reads it to answer his questions, most of these books are on ebay for cheap, but if you are in a hurry agway and tsc both sell these books

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Welcome from Southern Maryland! This site is a great place to learn new things and ask questions. I've been able to learn so much here from people who actually experienced in breeding or milking goats!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nigerian dwarf goats

I am selling all of my goats,they are papered,purebred nigerian.
i have 2 twin sisters they are 19 months
1 buck just castrated,and dehorned he is 13 months
1 female she is 1yr,never had babies
the twins just had 2 babies each
1 set is 2 months ,the other set is 1 month

all 4 sale,i am moving and cant take them:(

·
I'm watching you
22,532 Posts
Oh, that's too bad. I know a gal in Aumsville looking for two mini goats for pets. I'll give DH the message and he can get her info for you after work tomorrow. If you can't find a home for the wether I can take him and either keep him or find him a home later.
I don't dare a tiny doe. I have 2 full sized bucks here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts