New to the forum and have a question about new goat

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by 3pygmys, Jul 12, 2009.

1. 3pygmys

3pygmys New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    I am new at raising goats and have three. I just got our newest addition Saturday. I have a 4 month old doe and a 3 month old billy. The newest is 7 weeks old. I'm not sure how to safely bring the newbie into the pen. I brought her in and sat with her and the other female chased her around and around in circles butting her. I separated them and put them on different sides of the fence. I tried again today but only putting the new one (Casey) in with our baby billy (Oliver) and he was sort of blowing his nose and making these noises with his tongue out and chasing her. Is this normal??? I am at a loss and have put Casey in the main pen by herself to get used to it and the other two separated inside in a smaller pen. Any help would be great!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    The buckling should not be in with the does, breeding to young can occur.....alot of breeders wait til... 1 year old or older ... :wink:

Goats... will always have pecking orders and will chase and butt a newbie goat.....just keep an eye on them....they will have to work it out...... and will eventually calm down.....Also ...at feeding time... the more dominate does ...will butt the newbies....so try to.. feed in different spots ...so that the newbie can eat... :wink:

3. 3pygmys

3pygmys New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Thanks so much! I did not know to keep the buckling separated. I felt really bad for the new one she seemed tired from the older doe chasing her. I do have two feeders up in two different areas for feeding. Should I keep them separated when I am not able to be outdoors to be with them? Also, I have the buckling and the other doe in together and I was wrong with ages. The buckling I started bottle feeding at three days old, he was born April 19. The doe was almost ten weeks when we got her and that was about May 15. She did butt the little guy at first when we got her but not like she is chasing this one. I just am not sure to do this in baby steps or just let them go for a few hours and see if it starts to calm down. I am not sure what to do about the buckling, I will have to build another area for him.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its normal behavior until they get to know each other.

yes you need to separate the boy as he can breed the girl as young as 2-3 months old and you do not want that believe me.

I recomend you get a wether buddy for him if you plan to use the buckling for breeding. If you dont want to breed then get the bucking wethered and he can live happily with the girls.

the reason the girl is fine with the boy is they are buddies - she and him have a little system going and they know each other. Now the new baby is the outsider they have ot let her know who is boss and where her order is in the little herd.

I bought two goats this past time and that works nicely as they came from the same herd and they had each other to buddy up with when being introduced into my herd.

Remember 2 is company 3 is a crowd - it takes getting use to the new goat

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome ...3pygmys... :wave: ....just wanted to add ...glad you have joined TGS ...... :greengrin:

6. 3pygmys

3pygmys New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Thank you for all of the info! I would like to breed them, I will have to build him a pen next to the girls and get him a buddy. I wasn't sure of having two billys because of the smell, but I will search for one. I think this evening when it isnt so hot, I will go into the corral with the girls and let them work it out for awhile and if i see the little one is getting worn out, I will separate them again for a bit.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you remove the boy then the girl will be more willing to accept the new addition in time.

If you only have two does you wont need two bucks so get yourself a simple wether buddy so that it is cheeper :)

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    As Stacey mentioned... it doesn't have to be a buck ...you can get a wether...he won't stink...LOL :wink:
    Give the girls time ...they will adjust.. if it is only the 2 of them......pretty quickly ..... :)
    Just remember ...every time you separate them ....when they are put back together again.....it starts all over ....so beware of that.... :hug:

With building a buck pen next to the does...make sure... he cannot get right up to the fence and touch noses with them......he can breed them through a fence......I never thought they could...but we have proof here... on the goat spot....a few members... have experience this first hand..... :shocked: :help: :doh:

I have my buck pen far enough away ...from the does ....yet close enough ...that they tell me when there in season......they come up and flirt with my boy...LOL :greengrin:

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Just what Pam and Stacey said, the buckling needs to be in his own area very soon, my pygmy buck bred all of my girls when he was 4 months old...definately not something you want to have happen with your young does.

A wether is a neutered buck, he can be your bucklings buddy and he won't have the bucky smell...and you won't need to worry about babies :wink:

With the new kid, at 7 weeks she is very scared as well as stressed being away from the only goats she has known, and now she will need to learn how to get along with a stranger. Each time you take her away from the older doe and then take her back, it will start all over again. Leave them alone BUT provide a shelter that the little one can run into to avoid being chased or hurt. The reason why your buckling was chasing her and making noise is because he was trying to breed her...even though she is way to little, he doesn't know that, all he knows is that she is a doe.....and if he is 4 months, your first doe would be about 5 1/2 months, she very well could have already been bred as mini does will come into heat as early as 2 months...mine are normally around 3-4 months before that happens.
    Please, let us know how the girls get along over the next few days, sometimes it will take a week to tolerate each other and sometimes it's just a bit longer, and please, keep track of the older does heats, they have one every 18-21 days and will show signs, if you notice any odd behaviour from her, such as her tail flagging against the buck or her standing still while he tries to mount then she is likely in heat, some will even have a bit of dishcharge and the vulva will swell.
    Once you have the buckling separated you will be able to tell when she is in, she'll be wanting to stay close to his fenceline.

10. 3pygmys

3pygmys New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    I don't have a separate place for the little one to run into besides the barn, which is accessible to them both. I had them in the corral together and the little one was bucking up against the older one when she would go up on her hind legs towards her, repeating or doing the same back. However, when in the barn, it is the most bullying. I have feeders on two separate sides of the barn and the older, Allis, was butting her inside the barn. The two were playing for a few brief moments. We have a chance of rain for tonight and I didn't want to risk the older bullying the smaller one out of the barn to be stuck in the rain, so I have separated them for the night. They are next to each other and tomorrow I will be putting the buckling back into the small shed with his own enclosure. I just have to go get the fence to do it and didn't have time tonight. Unfortunately, the older doe and the buckling are in the same enclosure for the night, not many options right now. I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their help, it sure has been a journey! The buckling I was given as the mom had triplets and he was the only one to survive and the mom was very sick and almost passed. I had the trials of bottle feeding and he is extremely attached to me and will follow me around the yard. I will also be on the lookout for a wether for him to play with.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you are doing a good job with what you got to work with so far. wethers are usualy real easy to find.

12. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Idk where you are located but, I have a pygmy weather that is pretty cheap and would be able to negotiate price. He is very sweet. :greengrin:

13. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Hi there -- I raise pygmies too -- 7 weeks is pretty darn young to be weaned and in with an older doeling...I don't wean til 8-12 weeks. The two girls will buddy up once the boy is "out of the way," but I would put the little one in a dog crate or something at night if you want to leave her in the pen. That way they can see each other, but you don't have to worry too much... welcome to the wacky world of goats!

14. 3pygmys

3pygmys New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    The girls seem to be doing much better, yesterday they were sleeping next to each other. The biggest bullying I see now is first thing in the morning, feeding time. I think I may have this a bit under control by giving a firm NO to the older and feeding her first, then feeding the little one. I always feed the older one first and then the smaller. The little guy is in a pen right next to the girls, he can see them, touch noses with them but cannot get to them. I borrowed my amish neighbors wether and all my billy wanted to do was try to impress the ladies. For now, I am going to leave things as they are and see how things settle. The little doe goes up on her hinds and comes down trying to butt the older one now and they play a little. It is fun to watch and interact with them. The firm NO to Allis the older doe seems to calm her down and stop the bullying so I will continue reinforcing that. Thanks again for all the advice!

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Your girls are doing what they should be doing,...the fact that the little doe will stand up to the bigger one is great, and you are doing well by feeding the older one first, feeding time always causes chaos and a renewed "want to hold my spot in the herd" behavior.

Your buck will be fine, if he can see them but not be able to "be with them" he'll still have company, borrowing the wether was a good idea too :thumbup: