New to the Goat Spot

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Miranda, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Miranda

Miranda New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Hi
    I am a new owner of 2 wethers, not sure of their breed but they are around the size of my black lab she is around 80 lbs. I would like to have a goat that I can train to pull a buggy. Someone in my county is selling a Alpine kid that would be good for a cart goat. He is a wether and dehorned as well. I would like to know what is a good choice of product for keeping my goats worm free.

Thanks Miranda :wave:

2. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Welcome Miranda.........to the world of goats :greengrin: !

There are different classes of wormers, you probably need to see what is working in your area of the country and have a vet do a fecal to let you know what kind if any your goats have........some worms are becoming resistant to cetain wormers depending on where you live. Look in the Goat Sense 101 and there is a topic on wormers. Later this morning some of the more experienced members will be on here and can give you better advice.....I have had my wethers for just a year and I'm still trying to figure this all out. Oh, also check the membranes of their eyes, pull their bottom eye lid down and look at the fleshy membrane......it should be a nice rosey pink, if it is very pale pink to white then they will need worming. Overload of worms can cause anemia.
    Take care, Denise

3. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Welcome from Ohio! :wave:

I personally get a dewormer medicine (not sure of the name) from TSC and we've had no problem with it. I can check when I go out to the barn if you'd like me too.

I think you either have pygmies or nigerians judging by the size. ;)

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome

worming depends on the individual goat. I try to check mine once a month and if they need worming I worm with either ivermectin paste or injectable (given orally).

As was stated you gently check their lower eye lids for the pink color. As long as they are nice and pink you are 99% safe to say they are worm free. But to be on the safe side you can bring a poo sample to a vet to do a fecal. Have the vet check for coccidia and worms. Unless he finds coccidia I wouldnt use any meds he gives you for worms. Cocci meds can also be gotten over the counter at a much cheeper price BUT the ones from the vet are more effective in most cases.

I use horse paste wormer and cattle injectable. Both work fairly well but the horse paste you have to triple your goats weight to get the dosage. The good thing is that most horse wormers you cant over dose the goats with. I do not recomend using Quest to worm your goats unless you have an exact weight and a way to measure it out correctly for their weight.

Wormer is one of those tricky things I am still trying to grasp what works and what doesnt but if you have any questions feel free to ask and we will do our best to answer

5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome from North Idaho :wave:

6. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Howdy and welcome in :wave: Please show us some goatie pics :greengrin:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome....Miranda :wave: So happy your here..... :greengrin:

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    So happy that you joined us. Welcome from CO. :wave:

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    WELCOME!!! :dance: You'll love it here! :wink:

10. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Welcome to TGS! So glad you are here with us. :)

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome from SW PA Miranda!!!

Your wethers size are indicative of a nigi or a pygmy cross.....mine are approximately a bit shorter than the neighbors choc lab.

As far as wormers, not all types work for different areas, having a fecal( check for eggs in poops) done by a vet would tell you what they may have and you can treat accordingly, as was mentioned, the horse paste ivermectin wormer is one commonly used here....I use it and will til it stops working.

12. WELCOME!!! :wave:

As for warmers, you can used several things, I use Ivamectin, Cydectin, Safe Guard, and Valbazen. The dosage differs for each and for each goat as well. I rotate me warmers. Not only can you watch the eyes but I also watch the pigment of the anus and under tail area. The gums are another good place. You want color in all places, not a pale color. If you have a dark goat the gums and eyes are where you need to be looking.

As for pulling a cart, well lets see. I think just about all of the standard size goats though history have done this for some culture from Dairy to meat. I think the main thing you need to be sure of is a good sturdy goat with some decent weight/muscle behind him or her. The health needs to be there too of course.

Hope that helps? Glad to have you with us. :clap: :stars:

13. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Welcome!!! You have found a great place... full of wonderful advice and friends!!!

Jennah

14. Miranda

Miranda New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Well thanks for all the posts and advice I really thank you all. Here are some pics of my goats :sun:

15. Miranda

Miranda New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I am having trouble posting a pic it tells me its to big, I will try and make it smaller, keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks Miranda

16. Miranda

Miranda New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    here goes

Attached Files:

17. Miranda

Miranda New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    okay heres another, can I only add one pic at a time?

Attached Files:

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    They are adorable.

I use photobucket.com I upload my pics into there, then copy the "img" code and paste into the typing box here and then once you submit - the pics will show up :thumb:

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they are very nice!

NO you can post up to 6 photos at a time :)

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    They are adorable. I would say they are a Nigi -Pygmy cross.