The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions really.
I know that Boar and Kinders are great for meat... Is there any other breed good for meat out there? Some say Toggenberg, but from what I have read they are considered a dairy breed.

Also, I have 2 Nubian/Lamancha does that are 5 years old. Would they be considered good for meat at the age of 5, and them being a dairy breed? I'm actually only considering butchering one of them, she has an uneven hoof condition in the front hooves, and it appears she can't get bred.

Thanks!

·
14,615 Posts
Yes to both your questions. Any breed can be put on the table.
Boers & Kikos are built to pack on the meat, Boers at a faster rate then Kiko.
Meat/ dairy crosses also.
We've had 4 yr old ground doe.

·
14,615 Posts
The author did state that neither breed in their situation had great gains because of diet when that article was written.
Also why would they want more fat on the loins?
I have always understood that Kiko is slower growing than Boer. Not knocking the breed at all.
Thanks for the info Glockowner!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am happy to share what I have read. I have no personal experience yet, I have just been reading and researching for about 18 months trying to be as knowledgeable as possible prior to bringing some goats home.

From what I have read Boers generally have larger kids, but the Kiko breed is more vigorous growing. The Kikos are also supposed to be more efficient at turning forage and browse into meat than other breeds.

I am more interested in Kikos for their easy kidding and hardy nature.

Boers have the advantage of being more popular, which will make them easier to sell as 4H kids.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Kikos gain more per day then boers for their frame but boers hold more and are usually heavier at weaning.

You can eat any goat but boers, myotonic and kinder are some really good meat goats. So are savannas

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kikos gain more per day then boers for their frame but boers hold more and are usually heavier at weaning.

You can eat any goat but boers, myotonic and kinder are some really good meat goats. So are savannas
I'm thinking kinder at this point. I already have 2 kinder does and a buck. The 2 does I will use for milk, but their kids...... ? I am thinking of adding 2 more to my heard, and then I can invest in a new buck next season, and start my meat heard. They can't be named..... Yikes....., this is going to be hard, but I wanna be logical in all sides. I already have people who wanna buy my wether sheep, and wether goats for their table... Nope they have names, and they were originally bought for pets, and clearing to property, and well I'm too attached to them.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've heard a lot of people recommend a boer/kiko cross. Several people I visited prior to getting a 4-H project for my boys alternated breed when they changed out their buck. I'm not familiar with the kinder but if they make better mothers you may want to use a boer buck. That's assuming they're compatible size wise.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've heard a lot of people recommend a boer/kiko cross. Several people I visited prior to getting a 4-H project for my boys alternated breed when they changed out their buck. I'm not familiar with the kinder but if they make better mothers you may want to use a boer buck. That's assuming they're compatible size wise.
The kinders are a cross between the Pygmy and Nubian, so they are smaller. Crossing thin with a Kiko of boer wouldn't be an option really. I like the kinders, because I do milk, and I "think" I'm ready for the meat side. I guess they dress out to 60% of their body weight, and I'm guessing to make it worth it I would need 4 or more to butcher. Still looking at prices here in WA, because I would need to hire it to be done.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Sometimes less and somtkmes more. Usually closer.to 50

·
14,615 Posts
The kinders are a cross between the Pygmy and Nubian, so they are smaller. Crossing thin with a Kiko of boer wouldn't be an option really. I like the kinders, because I do milk, and I "think" I'm ready for the meat side. I guess they dress out to 60% of their body weight, and I'm guessing to make it worth it I would need 4 or more to butcher. Still looking at prices here in WA, because I would need to hire it to be done.
Janeen if you are up around Skagit county, Del Fox Meats does excellent job.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ever heard of Stewart Meats in McKenna?
Nope, but I'll look into them. I have a friend that gave me a # out of Enumclaw too. So I will look them up and see what they charge for goats. The one in Enumclaw is Olsen Meats.

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
Kikos gain on forage with out having to have supplemental feed. Of course they don't mind being fed out.:D
And this is different from Boers how?

My Boers stay on pasture year round and do excellant, if anything grows. Only non show animal that gets supplemental feed is does nursing trips, IF they need it....and that's only 1lb to 1.5lbs a day.

Kikos, Savanna, Kinders, Fainters, etc are meat minority niche breeds that take a hit on the sale floor, are not popular or competive as show market wethers and have far less direct market value. The meat goat industry has two boxes, Boer/BoerX and "all others". Just the way it is.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
And this is different from Boers how?

My Boers stay on pasture year round and do excellant, if anything grows. Only non show animal that gets supplemental feed is does nursing trips, IF they need it....and that's only 1lb to 1.5lbs a day.

Kikos, Savanna, Kinders, Fainters, etc are meat minority niche breeds that take a hit on the sale floor, are not popular or competive as show market wethers and have far less direct market value. The meat goat industry has two boxes, Boer/BoerX and "all others". Just the way it is.
Agree and really looking at the breed history kikos arent technically a meat goat.... they were bred as a feral breed to feed sailors in new Zealand and come originally from spanish type goats because of their hardiness. They were improved in their milk production and frame size by breeding in saaneen which is where the lack of muscle mass come from as well as the white color. Really I consider a kiko more brush type for lack of muscle mass. Very few actually look meaty.

The other breeds GTAllen listed are truly minority in meat goats. While I love fainters they aren't a huge portion of meat goats

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm really curious if anyone out there is raising Tennessee meat goats or the Texas meat type goats. It seems like the reason Boers are so popular in the us is just out of custom. And they are nice looking goats with great feed conversion. But I also know many producers trying to get away from Boers altogether by making fainting and kiko crosses as well as others. Not knocking boers, all mine are Boer crosses so I'm not a hater ;^]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts