The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did it again... I went to the horse auction (EXTREMELY SAD CONDITIONS) and fell in love with a goat and had to bring the poor emaciated little lady home! I brought her home in October... she had a pretty bad cough... I treated her for lungworm (based off of my research with ivermec) and she is no longer coughing at all.. her teets have gone from dog size to milking dog size... I'm thinking she may be pregnant... though at 2 months (assuming she was knocked up at the auction) I'm not sure I'd be able to tell. My farrier told me he believes she's around 10 years old... (kinda old from my research to be having babies) I've been giving her a flake of alfalfa per day... is this enough? She also has a bucket of grain when she wants it. She's gained a TON of weight and her sides are bulging.. just want to make sure I'm not over feeding her though it is very possible she could be pregnant and just showing.. Any and all help or advce will be appreciated... I AM TOTALLY NEW TO THIS WORLD!! But in love with the little lady and wanting to do what I can, ALL ADVICE WELCOME and APPRECIATED GREATLY!! :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
welcome welcome!

if you take a picture of her lady parts, tail naturally up, and many ppl here can tell if she's pregnant or not.

look at her lower teeth, you can tell the age of a goat by their teeth.
http://www.goat-link.com/AngelGoats-Forum/article-images/goat-physiological/teeth%20by%20year2.gif

the alfalfa is a great idea, but free choice grain, not so much. she can eat enough and get bloat. I feed mine a set amount, twice per day. what kind of grain do you have?

have goat minerals and baking soda free choice.

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
I would love to see some pictures of her. If you could get a super close up of her private parts with her tail up naturally, we may be able to help you with the pregnancy question as well.

How much and what kind of grain are you feeding her? Does she have hay or browse most of or all of the time? Does she have company?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I give Petunia a flake of Alfalfa in the morning and she tends to just move around all day. The chickens and her are spoiled with a barn stall and a pretty large run... She used to live with the donkey but when I brought all the horses over I didn't want to stress her out.. now she can be next to them but never scared, since there's the fence... it's all connected to the horses pen. and the barn has two windows so the horses can look in. I'm in the process of building a separate run for the donkey and goat but if she's pregnant will most likely leave her with the chickens until they're born since there are coyotes, bobcats and mountain lions where I live. I wanted to get a second goat, but for a couple weeks, I didn't realize she was coughing and then when I realized I treated her and didn't think it would be fair to get a second goat in case she had a fatal or contagious virus. Now that I think she is pregnant... I don't want to get another goat until I can confirm that she is not because I will get attached and keep the babies as well which will be plenty!! :)
I will upload pictures of her privates tomorrow since I work until 9 today. I don't give her a lot of grain I just give her a scoop in the mornings in a bucket attached to her water bucket... she doesn't really ever finish it and i usually end up dumping it out and giving the chickens a field day!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PS I also let her out every morning to just walk around and eat bushes and what not while I take care of the other critters.. and if she doesn't get to come out I take my pinchers and cut leaves of bushes and palo verdes for her to enjoy.

·
Registered
30,618 Posts
Congrats on your Rescue gal : )
I would leave coastal out for her free choice...daily alfalfa is great..free choice loose minerals are important a pooch pic would be great...and a whole body pic just cause we like to see goats : )

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These were from the morning a couple weeks ago and usually the horses hang out just behind her there but they were probably eating... Any ideas how to get that stupid metal tag out of her ear... Every time I try touching it she head butts me or stomps making it clear she doesn't like it me touching it... She's not into it...:/

Attachments

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
You don't want to take that metal tag out of her ear. That is a scrapie tag and it needs to be there. She looks to be an absolute sweetheart! Congratulations, and good job on rescuing her! :)

PS The average adult goat needs 5 to 6 lbs of some kind of forage per day. It can be hay, brush, weeds, grass, bushes, or a mix of any of the above.

·
Super Moderator
58,905 Posts
As long as there is no infection or anything associated with the scrapie tag, I would definitely leave it in.

Pretty girl!

·
Registered
30,618 Posts
I agree...leave the tag : ) ...and that face..she looks like a sweet girl!!Love your turkeys too : )

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
clearly i'm unsure of a lot of things as I'm new to this.. but what purpose does the scrapie tag give...? and if she is preggo will I need to put one on the babies? It's not infected but it looks like it has buildup around it... I guess im just more concerned about her getting it hooked on the chicken wire or elsewhere.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol thanks happybleats! a year and a half later and I'm still unsure if I have 2 girls or 1 of each.. 1 has a beard but I get eggs..? I got them from the killer auction too... I should really stop going! hahah

·
Registered
30,618 Posts
lol..well if you are getting eggs, at least you know one is a hen lol..we raise Rio grandes...A tom will flare his butt feathers when frisky or challenged, and has a long snoot where the hens dont
: )

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
but can females have the black beard (string looking thing) grow out of their neck?? They look the EXACT same, and one has only ever flared up when the dog came out with me for a minute... but the snoots are the EXACT same size... as are they

·
Registered
30,618 Posts
some hens can have beards..but usually not as big as a tom...let me look at my girls and see..Im so use to seeing them I have to look lol

·
Registered
30,618 Posts
Ok...My Hens do not have beards....a few have a loose feather that sticks out but not a beard...the tom at a year and half would have a def. beard...I would guess youhave two hens...The lighter one I see in the pic is a hen but I cant tell about the other : )..Ill get a few pix of mine tonight when I go feed

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
clearly i'm unsure of a lot of things as I'm new to this.. but what purpose does the scrapie tag give...? and if she is preggo will I need to put one on the babies? It's not infected but it looks like it has buildup around it... I guess im just more concerned about her getting it hooked on the chicken wire or elsewhere.
Scrapie is a wasting disease of sheep and goats. Should you ever sell her, the tag in her ear provides a way to track her back to her origins and it is actually illegal to remove it. If you breed her then, yes, technically her kids should have a scrapie tag. In the event that her kids are sold through a sale barn and do not have a scrapie tag the sale barn will put one in.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts