The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all!

Long story made short:

On October 17th, we upgraded the living conditions of a miserably neglected Nubian goat. The man we got her from felt like feeding his animals was the same as spoiling them. I'm not kidding...he's a complete idiot.

My husband couldn't stand to keep driving by her and see her continue to waste away, so I persuaded him to sell her to us...Of course she's very rare and valuable, he told us (right!), and she's been bred in August - so she's even MORE valuable (right). Was I sure I could take care of such a precious being???

I gave him the money and put the goat in my Toyota Camry. Really.

Vet aged her as 2-3 years old. We had her vaccinated (CL, Rabies, and one other thing I can never remember), wormed, and feet trimmed...and slowly started feeding her.

She is steadily gaining weight and is doing really well.

It's looking pretty much like she is not pregnant...which is very good because she is CAE positive...and bottle raising babies would be difficult for us (we are really new at this goat thing - and not feeling ready to take this on unless we have to).

I have to tell you that for YEARS I have had a ban on goats at my barn due to one annoying goat that lived at a barn where I use to board before...but Gabby (as we named her) has completely converted us! We love her so much! We are entirely smitten with her sweetness and forgiveness towards people who have evidently failed her pretty badly up until this point.

Here is her picture from just before we picked her up:

...and here she is about 3 weeks ago (I'll try and get some nice new ones this weekend):

Did I mention we LOVE this goat?!!! And we're now on the lookout for a companion for her :clap:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys!

I have been trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. I've been pretty lucky as my horses' vet practice also employs a vet who specializes in goats, sheep, and cows. She's been a tremendous help and source of some important information.

I have also found a couple of very helpful websites (one of them Fiasco's - great website for newbies like me who really know nothing) and message boards: goat wisdom (one of the members there gave me this MB info so I can get even more help!) and backyardherds. There have been some tremendously helpful people.

So that's what I'm here for - I have a lot to learn!

One more picture of Gabby - this is from the first evening we had her. We stayed out there with her to help her settle and had a little bon-fire. She slept like this by my feet the whole night - she was SO tired and worried about being with unfamiliar people in an unfamiliar place...I felt so bad for her. But, at least, her tummy was full :)

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Welcome Kelly...and Bless you for giving Gabby a chance at a real life! She is looking tremendously better and healthier with the groceries and TLC she has gotten in just a few weeks.

With goats, you learn something new every day regardless of how long they own you :love:

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
That is so great you rescued her! That's unfortunate she wasn't taken care of, such a pretty girl...but i'm so glad she's got a great home now. Looks like she needs a hoof trim, but other than that she's looking much better from that first pic! :thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, her feet looked like little elf feet! Dr. Sara showed me how to trim them - and I've done a little on my own since she trimmed them....but the best news is that my blacksmith will do it for me :leap: as I'd be lying if I said I was comfortable doing it myself!

He does the feet of the annoying goat (It's not her fault she's annoying - it's the OWNERS fault!!!) at the barn where I use to board the horses...and he said he's glad to do hers for me.

Here are Gabby's barn-mates, by the way

Siggy the Norwegian Fjord - he is the BEST horse ever and Gabby's favorite companion...they hang out & share hay and long naps in the sun...

Stanley the American Saddlebred (also a rescue - now a valued & treasured member of our lesson program):

And Daisy (my friends lesson horse who is living out her retirement with us):

She also has 5

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ooops! I meant to say that she also has 5 barn cats and 30 chickens to chase - which she does whenever the opportunity presents :slapfloor:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the Goat Spot! Gabby looks lovely. And your photos are beautiful! You really have a knack for them. And you figured out right away how to get them up here. I'm impressed. I haven't been here long, and I haven't figured it out.

Jan

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lissablack said:
Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the Goat Spot! Gabby looks lovely. And your photos are beautiful! You really have a knack for them. And you figured out right away how to get them up here. I'm impressed. I haven't been here long, and I haven't figured it out.

Jan
Full disclosure - I'm a member on a message board for horse-crazy people ( www.marestare.com ) and one for chicken-crazy people ( www.backyardchickens.com ) so I learned a lot of the "tricks" from people there.

It really is easy to do...you need to use a photo hosting site - I use www.photobucket.com Photobucket is simple, and I've used them for two years now. After you "join" here's what you do:
1) Click on upload images.
2) After the image(s) are uploaded, the photo will be assigned several codes (four, I think)...hover your mouse over the picture to see the codes, then
3) copy the code that starts with: <-----the img code will be followed by a ton of letters, numbers, and symbols.
4) paste the code into this same area where we type these replies.

Once you click on "submit" to enter your reply, it will show your picture to everyone.

I hope this helps :cool:

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Kelly, you have done a wonderful job, and I can sure say that you are Gabby's :angel2: Guardian Angel.

My sister has a goat, that is a companion for her horse. They can not go anywhere without each other. When my sister goes to horse shows she has to bring pony (the goat) with her because the horse will not do anything without his buddy. They eat and sleep together.

You have some very beautiful horses also, you can sure tell that Gabby will enjoy her life with you forever.

Now was she with any other at the other place? If not she might be just fine living there with your horse and not need another goat. My sister only has the one.

God Bless you.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Welcome, welcome......you deserve a big ole :hug: !

What a sweetie Gabby is!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Congrats and welcome! Sounds like she is very lucky to have you and I love her friends. The first horse is my FAVE. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks - each of you - for your kind replies! She is just the nicest goat - I'm so glad we got her!!!

I couldn't take any pictures today, it was too rainy. But tomorrow should be gorgeous!

·
Registered
742 Posts
How wonderful!! Kudos to you for not only taking the goat in but also trying to find all of the research & info to help raise her & get her back into top condition! Sounds like she is going to be quite spoiled--in the proper way! Let's hope the guy you got her from doesn't decide to get any more goats or you may want to report him for animal cruelty if the same thing happens again!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts