New to this site

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by flapjack47, Jun 10, 2009.

1. flapjack47

flapjack47 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Hi all :wave: I'm a newby from Maine with 2 girl nubians goats which are 3 weeks old now. We have 2 horses :horse: A rabbit, 2 ginny hens, a golden retreiver and 3 cats. We are hoping to be able to milk in a couple of years. I will try to get some pics up soon and put it onsite. I have enjoyed your site and find it interesting and educational. What would you recommend for fencing? :? Tractor supply sells the goat fence that rolls which you can get 100 feet. I have also heard about hog panels because of the strength where the goats have a tendency of climbing. Any suggestion you can give me would be great. :dance:
    Flapjack

2. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    howdy :wave: the goat fence is fine. hog panel works to.... Nubians arent much on climbin or jumpin after they hit about 1 year at least mine arent so a 4' fence is fine. again welcome

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!

Awww 3 week old nubi babies...I so love those long ears! Of course at the moment those babies will be staying close to home, but in the fencing you will want to keep predators out and the goaties in :greengrin:
    I personally use the galvanized goat panels for my mini's, the cattle panels would work for the larger breeds. If you want to just make a secure "pen" the panels would work, to make an extended pasture the roll fence will work and is more economical...the trick to keeping the fence upright is the spacing on the t-posts...every 4 feet for the roll fence and every 5-6 for the panels.

Glad you found us!

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome from Idaho :wave:

Sounds like you are off to a great start and can't wait to see the pictures!!!

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    :wave: Welcome from Western Washington :stars:

6. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    :wave: Howdy from Ohio! :greengrin:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome.......Flapjack....hi ya from California... :wave: ..so happy to have you join us..... :leap:

I agree with the others ..on the fencing idea's.... :wink: :greengrin:

8. Ditto, and WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME! :wave:

Glad you found us here. :clap: :leap:

9. flapjack47

flapjack47 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
    :thumb: We are working on the fence got to get it done soon the goats love being out side . more questions to fellow im sure lol

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Bring'em on! You are sure to get many answers!

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome Flapjack :wave: . So glad you joined us.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your so welcome......fencing is alot of work......I know what it's like....Ugg.... :help:
    NP ...on the questions ..............and pics....don't forget the pics....LOL :wink: :D

13. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Welcome, glad to have you here, have lots of fun! :wave:

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome :wave:

Happy to have you hear and I hope you can post some pictures of your goats :)

15. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Welcome from Alabama :wave:

I hope you enjoy TGS! :leap:

16. flapjack47

flapjack47 New Member

May 27, 2009
    hi all the goats are doing fine. but just got back from the vet .they said not to feed coarse 16 be cause it will make them sick if they get to much.we have 100 lbs cause 16 and 50 lbs sunshine.we have been feeding a cup a day to bouth goats with alittel bakeing soda.we have had no problems goats are 11 weeks old now.what do you all thin thanks john@shari

17. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am not sure what the Course 16 is - is it just a regular livestock feed???

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have also used the coarse 16 as well as the sunshine pellets....both are made by blue seal, correct? If it is the same feed, it is fine, as long as you have minerals out for them as I don't think there is any calcium or copper in it.....the lack of calcium was why I went to the Caprine Challenger. If you are feeding half swunshine pellets and half of the grain, they will do well. Any grain in too much quantity will make them sick, follow the directions for feeding that is on the bag and adapt it to what amount your girls will readily eat.

19. flapjack47

flapjack47 New Member

May 27, 2009
    thanks everyone for your help. the 16 course grain is a blue seal livestock feed i think the 16 is the protien .your info has been helpful .john@shari

20. flapjack47

flapjack47 New Member

May 27, 2009
    Pics of the babies

Hi :wave:
    I have some pics to add, but for the life of me do not know how to download it to this site. Maybe one of you knowledgable person out there can help this computer illerate person. :scratch: It sure would be appreciated. :leap:
    Thanks in advance,
    John@Shari
    http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy19 ... 315.jpgari