The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a FF who kidded yesterday morning and I want to know when I can start milking her and how to do it with the babies still on.

·
Super Moderator
59,788 Posts
I would wait at least a couple weeks. You can separate mom/kids at night and milk her in the am and let the kids on her all day.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
K thanks, I want to keep the kid on because I dont need the stress of a bottle baby plus we are going on vaca in two weeks

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
With my excessively heavy milkers I pull the kids at three days, and bottle feed the kids and milk the doe.
With my other does I let her have them for 2 weeks, then separate the kids during the day and milk at night. Then put them back with her until morning. Repeat.
Why I separate during the day instead of night is because I don't want to chill the kids at night, and she will protection them.

·
2,203 Posts
You kind of have to find a happy medium, as you know your herd better than us. Personally I pull all kids immediately. Mom gets 5 mins. If she shows no interest, I take em. If she's interested, I let her help clean. Hardly any are interested at all anyway.

I had a "half way house" preggo doe here one year that we allowed the kids to stay on. I let her keep them 24/7 for the first two weeks. Every day, however I snuck out to milk at noon. Once two weeks were up, I separated at night when we left for work (4pm). Come home and milk between 12-1. Worked great. Kids put back on her after milking.

·
Registered
718 Posts
My does freshened a little over two weeks ago. I just started locking the kids up at night and milking in the morning. Works great. Though, I'm intrigued by the thought of separating the kids during the DAY. I was thinking about that last night, but wondered if it would work (would the kids eat enough). It would be SO much easier on ME to milk in the evening, versus morning. But... I have a feeling moms might go nuts (which in turn would make my neighbors go nuts).

I actually had to start milking my girls at 3 days post-kidding, as their udders were still very full and getting lopsided from the kids not nursing evenly. Each is nursing 3 kids. I was getting anywhere from a pint to a quart even without separating the kids! Not a lot... but enough for me. Now with milking in the morning after separating the kids for the night, I'm getting a solid quart - could get more, but my hands dont work well in the morning and a quart is enough - and the kids are HUNGRY! LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts