New to this

Discussion in 'Horses' started by Goatzrule, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Madgoat

Madgoat Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I’m so glad to hear you have experience, now you can focus on getting familiar with the gaits. Have you ridden her? Has anyone who knows how to set up a gaited horse ridden her with you present? It’s really not difficult, once you know what each gait, i.e. flat walk, running walk, big lick, etc “feels” like. We FT owners have a saying we use to check our horses foxtrotting. It can vary but it goes like this, Pound of ham and sack of taters. Simple but it works. As I mentioned, finding a barn where they train flat footed (without the chains/soaring/weights) will be your best bet in learning about TWH. Good Luck! PS: My first horse was a National Show Horse (Arab/Saddlebred) since you also have had experience with the “crazies” you won’t have a problem with the mellow TW. That’s one reason why I LOVE my Foxtrotter, they are the sanest, most loving, breed I’ve ever been around.

2. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    We used to have Icelandics which have 5 gaits, but I know nothing about Tennessee Walkers, LOL.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Oh Tennessee Walkers are the best horses! Mine is a big baby named Dutchess.

4. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    I have not seen her yet. She is being kept in quarantine before I can bring her home. All I know is what I have been told by the lady keeping her for me. We are going to get her next week.

5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I'm so excited for you. I'm sure you will mesh with her. And with your experience
    You will feel the changes in her gait. To have someone watching..it just helps you understand what's going on. Just ENJOY her. Spoil her..and she will spoil you!

Goatzrule and Iluvlilly! like this.