New-To-Us-Kid 1st Time Forager, Poop Issue

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Kellypepperk, Jul 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Kellypepperk

Kellypepperk New Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Delaware County, NY
    Hey all! We were given an adorable (aren't they all?!) 10 week old doeling on Sunday. Today we walked her on a leash and allowed her to nibble her way down to the creek with us. She's been nibbling on her hay (good quality) all afternoon, too. But, this evening she had one sticky clumpy poo and one liquid poo. Everything else seems just fine - but I'm wondering if because this is one of her first times foraging if that may be the issue? I haven't had a goat since I was about 7 years old, so this is all new to me!

2. fishin816

fishin816 Raising Nigerian Dwarf DAIRY Goats, registered wit

Mar 4, 2011
    Southern Illinois
    First off, congrats on your new goat!!!! You will enjoy her!

She might get that issue if she is introduced to green grass rabidly, and she should get used to it. It should be fine later on.

Another question I have, does this doe have a companion?

3. Kellypepperk

Kellypepperk New Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Delaware County, NY
    she has many chickens and a dotting 9 year old girl to keep her company. She's been a porch pet until now. Hubby will absolutely veto getting another one!

4. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    Most likely the green forage. Grass/weeds/browse can easily upset a goats rumen if the are not used to it.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Give a bit of probios and pepto to help settle the tummy, if the runs dont cler up get her some cd antitoxin, for now hay and graze are fine..no grain until she is pooping berries again....I hope your hubby will see the value of her having a companion...goats do better as a pair...they play and sleep and eat different...and they just do better as a team then a lone...even with other "friends" there is no sub for a goat buddy : )

best wishes

6. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    You know what's more adoreable than one baby goat? TWO baby goats! ;) .
    Believe me: your goat will be happier with a friend and so will YOU, since single goats tend to get clingy and needy. It's like killing two birds with one stone- Your goat has a buddy to hang and play with, while you get to sit back and watch without having a goat cry for your attention all the time. Plus feeding two goats isn't much more expensive then feeding one :).

7. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    And I agree with happybleats on the probios and such, she'll get used to the new feed in time :)

8. Kellypepperk

Kellypepperk New Member

Jul 1, 2014
    Delaware County, NY
    I thought I had quite the medicine chest going on for my chickens - holy cannoli! I've got some major reading to do. And, once we have the proper fencing and shelter up, who know - another goat may just magically appear! :ponder: