new topic- a bully

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by 4kids, Oct 29, 2009.

1. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Me again, My doe Clementine is being a bit of a bully to our new goat. She isn't head butting her anymore but she chases her off everything and anything. For ex. if the new goat gets on the stanchion- Clementine butts her off. She chases her all around their barn. The poor new goat gets no rest. In the yard it isn't as bad as when they are confined to the house. I put them in the house as soon as it gets really dark (bears are up my way) and let them out really early. How long should I tolerate this getting to know you behavior? The new goat is bred so I don't want to hurt that and well- Clementine has a bit of girth behind her!

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I've found there isn't much you can do, your older doe needs to make sure she is still herd queen and sometimes things do get really rough. Hopefully when you get Jazz your new doe will have a buddy and that will help things.

3. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Awe poor Jasmine!
    I agree that theres not a whole lot you can do..and Jasmine isnt far enough along in her pregnancy that I would worry about headbutting being an issue for her babes.
    try to feed them at opposite sides of your pen- and make a few haypiles so Jasmine can get her share of hay/feed without getting run off by Clementine.
    Things should settle down in a few days!

4. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    My husband says I have too big a mommy heart- I get upset easy! I actually feed Jasmine in the little play house in the pasture(both her hay and feed) away from Clementine and Tangy. I am hoping that Jazz will help even things out!!!! Hoping for good results tomorrow Ashley!!! :)

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Poor girl...I agree with everyone... :) ..
    Maybe try making her a sleeping pen for night time away from the bully.. she can get rest and not beaten...you can also feed her.. in there...if she isn't getting enough.....that would really help her...I have a doe ...that everyone picks on ...and the poor girl was born here and raised with them.....so it may or may not stop.... :hug: