new twin lambs born 2/16~difficult delivery

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by 3pygmymom, Feb 16, 2010.

1. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    of course whenver there is mention of snow in the forecast the ewes always seem to go into labor :hair: . this mom was in labor from early morning, checked on her off all morning. finally saw a hoof around 11 am. by 2 pm the hoof was there and she was very uncomfortable, trying to push but it would not come out. at 2:30 i knew i had to help or we may risk losing both mom and baby. head was stuck with hoof underneath. i finally got the baby out and it was completely listless. i immediately started rubbing him down and suctioned him out as i could hear there was fluid in his nose. he started to come around, mom kept cleaning and cleaning him. no heart beat at first so i picked him up and started to massage his chest and finally a heartbeat!!! mom delivered a second about five minutes later so i am glad i got him out. now however he is just not right. his head looks more like a rabbit and i do think he is blind. it took him an hour to finally stand. i waited two hours and he did not nurse so i had no choice but to get a bottle going and he sucked down 6 oz in no time! he is shaky but no temp. made sure mouth wasnt cold. '
    the down side to this is i want to call a vet in however these are not technically our sheep. our neighbor keeps them here and his idea is to just let him be and if he makes it he does, there is a healthy one there. i cannot do that. i bundled him up in a fleece blanket and held him until i felt comfortable that he was nice and warm. he did make it through the night but would not take a bottle in the morning. i get done with work at 1:30 so i rushed home and found him out of his blanket in the corner crying. mom was laying at the other end of the pen with the other baby. i got him a bottle and he sucked down 8 oz. he was again shaking. i stood him up but he doesnt really walk all that well, small steps. i think he is blind or it is connected to the problem. he walks into the wall and then walks along with his head touching it and/or the fence . trying to get an idea........

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Did mom reject him? It sure does sound like he isn't "right".....maybe mom knows this. If he's eating, you will likely be bottlefeeding him his meals and I do hope he makes it, but be prepared for the worst, especially if he's not a normal little lamb.

3. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Do you have any pictures? Is he genuinely formed wrong... or was it just because he was wedged in there tightly for a long time, with mom trying to push him out? The heads are soft when they're born... and if he had no heartbeat he could have suffered from lack of oxygen to the brain... I guess I'm saying, it might not be a genetic problem, just something that happened from complications of birth...? The blindness doesn't make sense with that idea though.

It doesn't sound hopeful but like you I have to help the little guys if there's any chance of them making it. I figure, I won't give up until they do! I'd just say keep him warm and fed and see how he does... :hug: and best of luck to you... and good for you for giving him a fighting chance.

4. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    mom has not rejected him, she does still lick him and sniff him however it is not the same extent she does to the other one. i do have pictures, but i cannot for some reason post them. he takes teeny tiny steps and vary rarely in succession. if i lay him down, he gets back up on his own. when i went in the last time to check him, he was in the corner by the water bucket for mom trying to walk but he was against the bucket, that is why i am leaning more towards blindness now. i was wondering if it might be white muscle disease, he has that look to him. he does cry off and on but the feeding pattern is so confusing. he will eat 8 oz and then not take another bottle for 7 hours or more. i am thinking it is because he has a full belly and he isnt bouncing all over like his sister is. he is pooping and peeing, poop is normal small berries. he is a bit mucousy in the mouth and the rattling that i heard when he was breathing before is no longer there. his body feels warm and i have not seen a low temp yet and i keep checking for that. other than his nose being cold, it all seems normal. i know we can lose him at any time, that is the heartbreaker with bottle babies. i dont want to take him away from mom yet either. i feed him in the bonding pen where he was born and mom and sister are. i have no problem giving extra care for him if he fights and makes it. it is pretty much hour to hour right now. thanks for all of your help!

5. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Well it's good that mom still considers him her own!

If you're thinking white muscle, a little sheep nutridrench and Selenium E gel probably wouldn't hurt? I think that sheep have relatively high tolerances for selenium so if you just gave him a half-dose or something he'd probably be fine (even if it isn't white muscle). Does anyone else know? My sheep have free-choice Selenium salt, but I've never given a lamb the gel before...

:pray: for your little one!

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He surely sounds like he is a fighter....and it's good that his mom isn't pushing him away. I hope he thrives for you.

7. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    its frustrating because they are not technically my sheep, but the family on the other side of the meadow use one of the barns for their sheep. when they have a problem we are right here and it usually happens when they are at work. i would call the vet in but i wont overstep that boundary, i will bottle feed and what will eventually happen is that he wont have time with 20 more sheep to lamb he will let my girls have him and they know already that he probably wont make it but i cannot let him just be cold and hungry and my girls wont let that happen. so, for now the best i can do is keep him warm and a belly full. he took 6 oz at 8:30 so i will go out again at 6 tomorrow morning with another bottle to fill his belly until i get home from work at 2. he gets up on his own but his steps are so very tiny and not quick by any means. most times he just stands there. he was shaky this evening but no low temp and his body was warm, i think it has to due with whatever the disability is he has. i did shine a flashlight in each eye and when i did that he did close them so there is sensitivity but as to how much he can see i havent any idea.