The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

My 3 week old buckling was disbudded today. The vet (a new vet) said "He's bleeding a bit, he'll be fine". I peeked at him, a small amount of blood, not much to write home about.

Now we are back home (45 minutes away) and he is bleeding! I get that head wounds bleed, but it's enough to drip down the side of his face. It's bleeding where the horn bud would have meet the skin.... superficial I believe, but man is it bleeding!

Blood stop powder helped, then he used his hoof to scratch and opened it up again. I tried putting gauze and pressure, he jumped up, used his hoof and scratched it again.

He has nursed, bouncing around, etc.

His mom is vaccinated so I have not given cd/t yet and I do not have antitoxin I have banamine I can give, but he seems okay pain wise. Blood stop powder helped for a short time. I do not have the iron for cauterizing.....
Blue kote for flies?

What can I do extra? I'm leaving tomorrow for my daughter's birthday weekend and can't leave a bleeding goat in the hands of the helpers. Especially during fly season!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you run him back to the vet to cauterize it?
Unfortunately no. It would be 1 1/2 hour round trip and I have to be close to home for my kids. I did get the bleeding to stop with more blood stop powder and pressure.

He is walking around, ears perked up like normal.

Not saying he won't make it bleed again..... Would blukote help with the flies? The vet did give me a spray for flies... It's called Vet-kem.

·
Super Moderator
35,078 Posts
You definitely want to give him tetanus antitoxin asap. He needs his own protection against tetanus. Alum shield is good for this sort of thing. Blu kote can work if you already have it on hand.

·
Registered
I miss my ducks
5,534 Posts
To keep him from scratching put a cone of game for dogs on him.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
799 Posts
I agree with Lil Boogie. Or you could put thick socks on his hooves so that they're not pointy/sharp.

For future reference tho, 3 weeks is kinda late for a buckling to be dehorned, unless his horns were slow to bloom. 😂 I don't think that would be the reason they bled tho since I had a buckling that I bought done later than that once and he didn't bleed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts