New Wether is Scared!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Devin, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I got my new Nigerian Dwarf Wether today! But he is definately not like my bottle baby. He is a bit jumpy and doesn't trust that he is OK with us. He was Dam raised, but in the house with daily attention. Breeder said he has been a bit jumpy since he got disbudded (he got done late imo). she really seems like a very good goat owner, almost too attentive! I am pretty sure he was not mistreated. He just seems to be afraid. Is this normal for dam raised?

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Totally normal...he misses his mom and his home, keep him in a small area, a crate or laundry room with hay and water, talk to him and scratch him, he will bond to you, it will just take some time. He doesn't know you or his new home.

3. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks Liz! Bella wasn't scared of us when we got her at 10 days old, and Rowdy was such a puppy from day one. But this guy is older so maybe some instinct is kicking in in the survival department. He is such a cutie!

4. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Totally normal!! I always have the sweetest babies & work so hard to make them that way, then we do horns and there is a slightly noticeable setback in their attitudes. Then when we do the castration part...ouch...definitely a BIG setback with the boys... usually takes a few weeks for them to come back around and relax again. It always just breaks my heart to go thru that setback after so much works goes into making them friendly...but they always come around. Have faith...he's just stressed, probably for a variety of reasons, he'll come back around. :thumb:

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Definately agree with the others. My retained does from last summer are/were somewhat friendly. They get their grain everyday and come up to the fence, but I moved them two days ago and now they are in a panic mode and act like i'm going to eat them. They'll take some time to get used to their new pen and the changes, but they should come around again with time....and grain. Hehehe. ;)

It will take some time for the new wether to come around. I would just give him some time and not mess with him. He's going to be extra stressed so be sure to let him relax and have time to settle. ;)

6. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks guys, he is slightly better this morning, seems to want attention, not nearly as flinchy. he maaaaa'd from about midnight off and on until this morning, and only quieted when I would stand beside him. He let me pet him a little this morning too, without pulling away. He is quiet now, but is lonely, poor guy!

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad it is going better with him.... :thumb: :greengrin:

8. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks! We named him Tobias (Toby)

9. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Toby is starting to warm up a little. He will come and stand beside us, but doesn't want to be petted much. (you can sneak in a couple scratches if something else is distracting him) He's a vocal little critter, puts my nubian to shame. He doesn't have her volumn of course, but he has a hard time shutting up lol! I HOPE that calms down as he gets more comffy with us and isn't looking for mamma anymore.

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Does he have access to your nubi kid? Being separated from his mom as well as other goats will make him scared too...introduce him to her in a small area, you may see a new light in his eyes once he can see another goat.

11. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Others were telling me to keep them seperate . . . though he seems REALLY healthy. there is nothing about him that makes me nervous, he couldn't look any healthier. He is chunky, his fur is soft, his poops are normal and his eyes and nose are clear. He can see her from his pen, but they are a few feet apart. They both are very interested in each other. I don't know how long I should keep them apart???

BTW: I don't think he knows he is a goat. He's been raised inside and we took him outside for a little while and he is scared of EVERYTHING! She only let him outside on really warm days and so he has only been out when it was 60 or above I believe (so what 2-3 days? for short amounts of time). I don't get that. He has a super thick long coat, like rabbit fur practically. 3Xs longer than my nubian's. It is only about 35 here today and he wasn't shivering. He was out for about an hour. Anyway, he did finally settle out there (I stayed with him the whole time) and started to play! He is adorable!