New wether - possibly has mange?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by BeckyD, Jan 19, 2011.

1. BeckyD

BeckyD New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Yucaipa, California
    I just bought my first pregnant doe and a little 6-month old bottle-fed wether on Sunday. The owner of the wether, a vet tech, told me that the wether had a little diarrhea (sp?) a few weeks back but was doing fine now (kept in a pen with several other yearlings). I pointed out a crusty patch under his left eye and she assured me that it was just left over from when he was sick. I gave him a good bath today but that "crusty stuff" won't come off - and now, after reading up on common problems with similar characteristics, I'm wondering if it's mange. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow morning and post it - it even seems like his left eye is a little "knobbier" than his right eye. I don't see any other evidence of it on the rest of his body - no bald patches, no scratching, good appetite, etc. But he's been in with my pregnant doe for companionship. Yikes.

How do I tell what it is? Is there a site that isn't full of grotesque pics of mange-INFESTED, dead or dying animals that will help me figure it out? There isn't a good vet close and I'm worried about both him and my doe and her unborn kids. And my dogs. Ugh.

Thanks,
    Becky D

2. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I'd give Ivomec injectible just in case... it can't hurt. You need to inject it though not drench it to treat for lice and mites. Also topical Eprinex works well too.

It may just be a mineral deficiency though.... what type of minerals has he been on?

5. BeckyD

BeckyD New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Yucaipa, California
    Thanks for the responses - I've seen the pic you sent, Pam, and I'm just not sure it's the same thing. It's isolated around one eye and doesn't seem as "flakey" - I don't even know if that's an accurate description. The info you sent, Milkmaid, is pretty good - thanks.

I can't figure out how to load pics - I see on the faq that you can't load from your personal pc so I don't know what other options I have to get them where people can see them. I know I've seen other people's pics on here - can anyone help me figure out how to do it?

Jess, I was thinking about picking up the Ivomec pour on - I haven't done any injections yet but I'm not adverse to it - I'll do what I need to do to get this problem dealt with quickly. Am hoping to find someone nearby who can walk me through the process the first time, tho. As far as minerals, I honestly don't know what he was using. He was kept in a pen with several other yearlings - both does and wethers - and I didn't see anything. However, I was told that they usually had a salt lick with minerals along with their alfalfa. It sure would be nice if it was a deficiency - that I can fix fairly easily. The mange thing scares me though - I have too much going on to want to take that on right now. A little frustrated that I wasn't more adamant about info up front - I asked about it and was given an explanation that "made sense" but I feel like my ignorance may have worked against me. sigh.

Thanks again,
    Becky D

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I'd get both your goats on Sweetlix Meat maker loose mineral asap.... they should be fed loose minerals free choice anyways...so even if that's not what it is..it will only be helpful to them. :)

I would definitely do the injectable as well.... 1cc per 100 lbs of body weight. :)

I'd help you if I were a little closer...but you're about 2 hours from me! :(

7. BeckyD

BeckyD New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Yucaipa, California
    That's what I'm reading everywhere - that loose mineral is better than a block, and something with copper in it, too. I'll pick some stuff up in the morning - I can't get to the feed store before closing tonight.

Can I dose the pregnant doe as wel with the injectible or should I just use the pour on? She's due the first week of April.

For help I'm hoping to hit up SDK for a little mentoring if she's got time - she's just across town from me -Yay!

Becky D

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

What about giving him a BoSe shot? Maybe there is a selenium deficiency going on.

9. BeckyD

BeckyD New Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Yucaipa, California
    Maybe a dumb question but I'm new at this and all these terms and abbreviations and anacronyms (is that even the right word???) have my brain in a bind. Does BoSe do the same thing as BOSS? I figured out what BOSS stands for but can't find BoSe but see that it addresses similar issues. Is one ingestible while the other an injection? And everywhere I look it says that the injections must be administered by a vet - ugh. I want to do as much of this stuff myself but can I get the stuff or am I stuck going to a vet for it? Now I'm reading that pregnant does should have this anyway a few weeks before kidding so I'm really interested in getting a hold of some for both my NDs.

10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

BoSe is selenium with Vitamin E. It is Vet Rx and you would inject it into the goat. You can do any injections you want to on your own goats, you just have to get some of the meds from the vet. Most livestock vets will sell you what you need.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Not dumb at all........ :wink:

Bo-se is a selenium shot... Bo-se can be overdosed and can do more harm than good.... if.... you don't give proper dosage and or over due it......that is why... they say... have a vet inject it.... but ...we know how to do it here.... so... we are good to go....
    Also Preggo Does.... can have the injection... if you are in a deficient area zone....or .....you know the Doe doesn't eat her loose salts and minerals....ect..

If you have a weak or crooked leg kid born.. it is most likely... from lack of selenium....which is given ...to a new born ...it is called B0-se...

Boss is sunflower seeds...goats love eating it... :thumb:

12. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Maybe club fungus/ringworm? I can't find a picture of a goat with it sorry.

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    good luck getting bose around here.. vets are stingy.. if you get them on the sweetlix type block and some black oil sunflower seed they'll be fine