The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm just getting interested in goat keeping. I would love to have a few for milk. What tips could you give me on building a shelter?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Are you interested in meat, pet, or dairy goats? bcause if you want dairy goats, there are more things to consider when building a shelter. Such as: do you want a milking stall? and if so, do you want it in the barn, or separate? and what ever kind of goats you have, if you intend to breed, it's extremely handy to have an extra stall for kidding, and a hundred other reasons. You may want to get Storey's guide to raising dairy(or meat) goats. Very useful book.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Are you interested in meat, pet, or dairy goats? bcause if you want dairy goats, there are more things to consider when building a shelter. Such as: do you want a milking stall? and if so, do you want it in the barn, or separate? and what ever kind of goats you have, if you intend to breed, it's extremely handy to have an extra stall for kidding, and a hundred other reasons. You may want to get Storey's guide to raising dairy(or meat) goats. Very useful book.
^ Great book! another resorce is http://fiascofarm.com/

When I first bought goats I thought an 8x5 shed would work great...but it didn't. We are about to move, and believe me, I am going to have a milk room, a feed room and a place to put my girls in at night.

Problems I've run into:

Fitting 2 bales of hay and a bale of straw inside out of the rain.
Kidding season when you'll want an inside stall if not 2.
Wooden floors that get soaked in pee.
Coyotes.
Trying to do chores in the mud and rain with no help and having to go back and forth between the pen and shed.
Milking outside in the rain.

http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f217/barn-plans-lessons-learned-134223/

Have fun!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Build as big as you can afford! I started with a 10x10 with two goats. Now I have a 26x12, 5 goats and it still doesn't seem big enough.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Build as big as you can afford! I started with a 10x10 with two goats. Now I have a 26x12, 5 goats and it still doesn't seem big enough.
Yes! We started with a 16 by 16 three sided shed, I think. It was for our 6 Nigerians. At first I though it was way to big- they looked so tiny in it
- but I did not account for accumulating more goats. And believe me, you will! I'm so glad our barn is as big as it is; I actually wish it was bigger sometimes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts