Newb from PA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SterlingAcres, Oct 19, 2009.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Thought I'd stop in and introduce myself. I'm Shell. Married with 2 little boys. Have a small hobby farm in NEPA. I'm in the process of building houses and paddocks for my first herd of mini dairy goats. I have a local source to buy them from, but I'm always open to new bloodlines. They don't have to be show quality, these will just be milkers for my backyard. So if you happen to know anyone within reasonable distance of me, send me a pm.
    Looking fwd to getting to know you all :) Thanks for reading.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome Shell, So glad you are here with us. :wave: there are a lot of people from here that are up your way.

3. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Welcome from Ohio!! :wave:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome...Shell.... from California.....glad to have you here..... :wave:

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Thanks for the welcomes :hug:

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well I am in south Jersey and a lady from up your way is coming down to pick up a goat she purchased from me - so there will be goaties come spring from her

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome Shell!

Yes, lots of nigerian breeders up in your neck of the woods.....not a whole lot here in southern Armstrong County :(

Hope we can help when you bring home your kids!

8. Steph

Steph Senior Member

May 7, 2009
    PA
    Hi Shell! I'm from the other end of PA! My husband and I raise Nigerian Dwarves. What kind of mini dairy goat do you have? I will be having some babies for sale in mid February. I have 2 does bred to kid in December. Not sure how far you are wanting to travel for babies? Feel free to check out our website. I have pictures posted of all my goats. You might want to check out Tukswit Farm if you're interested in Nigerians. They have some lovely goats.

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I'm not opposed to travel. We have relatives in Philly, Reading, Bethel, Brookville and Punxatawney, PA. As well as some in Washington, NJ and Baltimore, MD. I don't currently have ANY goats, but my grandfather knows a man who raises "small black goats". He wasn't sure if they were pygmy or nigerian. I'm hoping for nd's. He plans to get them as my Christmas gift, but I know I'll want to add on in the spring. I love unusual colored nd's. :love:

Like I said, I don't currently have any. I've been around goats, but never owned one personally. So any first time pointers are more than welcome :)

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I know a guy who calls all his goats "pygmy goats" but about half or more are actually nigerian dwarf (but dont try to explain it to him, he wouldnt even believe you if you tried LOL) he takes great care of his goats even if they maybe mix breeds. Reasonably priced etc. I can give you his phone number if you like.

he lives in Schwenksville PA

11. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Welcome from York PA. Small world, my whole family still live in Punxsutawney. Well most of them. Most people can't pronounce it let alone know where it is. Anyway welcome. Mostly pygmies here.