Newbie 7 day old bottle fed baby need help!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Maggie1127, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Maggie1127

Maggie1127 New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    7 day old baby boer has runny poop. Feeding replacer given by the farmer 4x a day 4 oz. Contacted local farm supply in a panic looking for advice. Giving scour-chek 2 pumps 2x per day. Baby seems to be growing although his legs seem weak-- concerned he may have selenium deficiency. I know only what I have read on Google. Please help me and this baby. Farmer wasn't capable of bottle feeding and I didn't want him to die. Thank you all so much in advance!!

2. Maggie1127

Maggie1127 New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Runny poop started about 4 days ago. A goat raiser at TSC told me runny poops were normal until hat was introduced. When should I introduce hay and grain?? I stopped scour chek for one day and I am still continuing two doses of 2 pumps a day. If he does have selenium deficiency where can I get something for that and what should I get? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

3. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    No, runny poop is not normal in bottle babies. Diarrhea is usually caused by over-feeding, not feeding regularly, or feeding cheap milk replacer. Do you know what the baby weighs? What brand is the milk replacer?

You can introduce hay and grain now - start out with a little fine stemmed alfalfa and a small handful of grain. Don't be surprised if all your kid eats for a while is the leaves. Just give the stems to your herd and replace. Selenium deficiency is treated with Bo-Se and it is RX - you will have to get it from your vet.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I agree with goat crazy, runny poop in not normal..he most likely has milk scours....would stop all milk until he is dry...give electrolytes in stead to keep him hydrated...give CD antitoxin and B complex and pepto
    you can get selenium Vit e gel from most farm supply stores if you cant get BoSe injected from your vet
    Once he is ready for milk...give whole cows milk..not replacer..many babies do not do well on replacers....

feeding him the correct amount:

Weigh him... and multiply that by 16 to get his weight in oz"s
    multiply that by 10% to see howmuch milk he needs in a 24 hour period then divide that into 4 feedings...He willact like he is starving...remember..babies will eat themselves sick..too much milk in the tummy sits and becomes toxin
    here is a home made elctro recipe

Homemade Electrolytes
    A half gallon of hot water
    2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
    1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
    1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

5. kyndal_98

kyndal_98 New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Ask your vet. Runny poop is fairly normal in bottle babies. Because the aren't eating solids. But it could be because of feeding too much or not being regular. Just contact your vet

6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Runny poop is not normal. Agree with advice given above.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Cathy and goat crazy.
    Scouring runs, is not normal for any goat no matter the age. We can rule out worms or cocci, as this kid is too young.

So it is most likely milk scours, unless it smells really bad.

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    New born poop can be soft, however usually formed in some kind of shape....watery or pasty poop is not normal...here is a link to show what I mean...:)

http://goat-link.com/content/view/46/75/#.UvqIo0JdV6Q

9. Maggie1127

Maggie1127 New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Thank you all for your help! It is ridiculously snowy here which is uncommon. I will try to introduce hay and grain tomorrow, if I can get out. If not it will be Thursday at the latest. Selenium gel then too. Goat probably weighs about 4lbs. Poop isn't "horribly smelly"-- stinks a little. Seems to act like he feels pretty good.

10. Maggie1127

Maggie1127 New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    I just did the math and I'm sure that he's being over fed now. I will hold off on feeding til morning then start with 2 ounces 4x per day. I will get hay and feed whenever the snow and ice melts. I will continue giving him scour-chek in his bottle twice a day. Thank you all!! Anything else you can tell me is much appreciated. I am a very very new goat lover and could use the tips and tricks.

11. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    What do you mean by holding off til morning? If you mean not giving him a bottle til morning, he cannot go that long between feedings - it will just make the scours worse. Feed him like you normally would, just cut it down by an ounce or two.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  12. Maggie1127

Maggie1127 New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Good to know. Thank you!

13. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    You are very welcome! :)

14. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    If the poop is loose but not watery, dropping milk amount could be fine however if he is watery I would stop milk for 12-24 hours and replace with electrolytes...then restart milk when he firms up at a few oz until he is up to his needed amount of 10%..

15. Maggie1127

Maggie1127 New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Not watery. Just goopy. I read something online about the retention of their skin. The ability of it to bounce back quickly suggests that he is not dehydrated. Will give electrolytes anyways just to be sure. How often and how much?

16. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Give him the same amount you would his milk..just until he firms up...: ) Sorry I didnt get back sooner..been a long week

17. carrhouse

carrhouse Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Milk replacer can cause scours ..we use the following formula ...Get a gallon of whole cows milk at the store ... pour out some ... Add a cup of whole butter milk, plus a can of evaporated milk, top it off with the whole milk to make a gallon. This works for us ... We raise Myotonic Goats.

18. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    So will cow's milk, mother's milk, or any other kind of milk, for that matter, if overfed or fed inconsistently.

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    some do mix buttermilk and evap. milk to it but Plain store bought whole cows milk is fine without additives, does just as well ..I have raised many babies on it...and as Goat crazy said, fed in the right amounts is important..