The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We acquired a [1/2 Nubian & 1/2 Boer] female @ 2 weeks born 12/28/19. "Georgia" is now ~6 weeks old. She was a slow starter at birth and goat mom didn't want to feed her or bond but accepted the twin. She has been bottle fed from the start. Bottle feeding with no problems- Fresh cow milk & MannPro Kid Milk Replacer. Feeding schedule: 07am , 12pm, 1700pm & 2300, takes 10-18 oz per feeding [she pulls away]. Fresh hay alfalfa and timothy, with Dumor Goat Pellets available always. She follows the dogs and drinks a little water from their bowl, she is inside at night and outside during the day.
She weighs 17lbs. now as of 2/5/2020, She has been gaining weight [we weigh her weekly] but still look so thin, her twin sister is twice the size. Coat looks amazing, shiny and soft.
The questions I have: Do you think she is underweight? if so, how can I help her?
Does she need additional vitamins/minerals available to her?
we will do anything for her. This is our first goat and we are totally in love. I have been reading all the forums and soaking in all the advice!!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Welcome to this forum! I agree, there is a lot to soak up in term of reading and learning.
I am still a beginner as well. Someone more experienced will hopefully give advice soon.
Your girl is very cute!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Are you using the red bag of grower pellets, or the all purpose stuff? The red grower bag should help her put weight on, you can try adding plain alfalfa pellets in the mix too, but frankly there is nothing like mamas milk to put the pounds on. You can always try and milk one bottle out of mom right before a feeding when you have time and give one of those a day. Only had one bottle baby but she seemed to do fine on whole store bought cows milk, no does in mills at the time. A little skinny to start but she started filling out around 8 to 10 weeks on her own once she was off the bottle

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would also buy a tube of pro bios paste and give her some to help boost her gut. If you are feeding her as much grain as she wants as well then she may need some free choice baking soda to settle the PH in her stomach as well as she starts eating more. I also recommend leaving out free choice mineral. All my kids get pro bios paste, selenium vitamin e gel, cocci treatment -I use toltrazuril. I start feeding Kent medicated show kid food at 6 weeks to make sure are a good weight before they go to new homes

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Super cute! Welcome to the forum & goat ownership.

We'd expect her to be closing in on 30 pounds at this point. Are you sure about the breed cross? She doesn't really look half Boer to me...

I agree, a fecal analysis would be the best option right now. To make sure she doesn't have internal parasites (worms) or coccidia. I recommend using Meadow Mist Laboratory, you can find them on Facebook. They have all the instructions there on how to collect, package, and mail a sample. It will cost you less than $15 all together.

Because you mentioned she was a "slow starter" at birth that could be an indication of selenium deficiency. I'd recommend purchasing Selenium & Vitamin E gel and giving her that on a regular monthly basis.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Welcome! Yes, it is difficult not to fall in love with them! :)

Have you checked her back muscle with your fingers? It should be about a straight line from back bone tip to side bone (behind the ribs). If it is hollow, she is too thin, if it bulges out, she needs to loose some fat.

Another sign that she is thin is if the head starts to look big, but I do not think it does, on the photo. And, of course, is she active? Jumps, runs, lands in your lap with a happy smile?

Extremely nice-looking girl; congratulations to your baby!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Super cute! Welcome to the forum & goat ownership.

We'd expect her to be closing in on 30 pounds at this point. Are you sure about the breed cross? She doesn't really look half Boer to me...

I agree, a fecal analysis would be the best option right now. To make sure she doesn't have internal parasites (worms) or coccidia. I recommend using Meadow Mist Laboratory, you can find them on Facebook. They have all the instructions there on how to collect, package, and mail a sample. It will cost you less than $15 all together.

Because you mentioned she was a "slow starter" at birth that could be an indication of selenium deficiency. I'd recommend purchasing Selenium & Vitamin E gel and giving her that on a regular monthly basis.
I can t thank you enough for the information : I am on a mission of gathering poop samples to be sent away for analysis & Order is in for Sel/VitE Gel ... I have a printed record that I have kept of all her feedings and weight. I will certainly add all this into it too.
IMG_6405.jpg

This is the Mom & Dad of "Georgia" my baby
IMG_6431.jpg
. We were told she was 1/2 Boer & 1/2 Nubian ? The black/ white is Dad - Brown is Mom

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Handsome buck. I think Georgia's sire could be Nubian/Boer cross but her dam is crossed with something smaller (Possibly Nigerian Dwarf and Boer, tough to say.) That may account for Georgia's smaller size but it still sounds like she is underweight, especially since you mention her dam-raised twin is twice as big.

I hope the fecal results return quickly and you can treat and put weight on her better. Post a photo of the results sheet when you get it.

·
Fair-Haven
4,717 Posts
Am I seeing blue eyes on this baby? If so, she has another smaller breed in her - Nigi or Myotonic perhaps. Dad does not look full nubian to me - his head is wrong. Not sure of mom. If she is not bony and gaining at a good rate (what weight did she start at?), she may just be smaller because of genetics. Do as suggested for coccidia prevention - I would weigh her weekly to track her gain.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I am on a mission of gathering poop samples to be sent away
I hope everyone have by now heard of Trollmor's Plastic Bag Trick: Tape a plastic bag around the tail and under it, just wait for it to get filled, and "harvest" by gently cutting off some of the hair, to avoid pain when removing the bag. Not contaminated, and you know for sure which individual it comes from.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I hope everyone have by now heard of Trollmor's Plastic Bag Trick: Tape a plastic bag around the tail and under it, just wait for it to get filled, and "harvest" by gently cutting off some of the hair, to avoid pain when removing the bag. Not contaminated, and you know for sure which individual it comes from.
That is awesome!! Thank you for that!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Remember to give her a 5 day drench, Corid only kills one life stage of cocci which is the reason for 5 days in a row. In the future, the toltrazuril kills all life stages in one dose, so if you have a lot of kids to treat at some point, that makes life easier especially if your a one man band. Happy cocci hunting!!!

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Do know, all goats have a safe level of cocci.
I have used corid for active cases and prevention.
It does kill off cocci, to a safe level.

So know, cocci does not have to be totally killed off.

Under stress and illness, cocci can rise to a unsafe level.
Which then, should be treated, it can happen to kids and adults at anytime.

Doing prevention as kids grow seems to be the safest method to prevent an unsafe level to spike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts