Newbie at bucks

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by nancy d, Jul 12, 2009.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    After 4yrs we finally decided to have our own Boer buck so this part of it is pretty new.
    I will probably drift in & out of a whole plethora of questions & observations. Any sugesstions & info are welcome from those of you with more experience.
    At 3 mos Valentino was fairly hard muscled, now at 5 mos he has lots more extra "loose" hide. He is from SA & NZ lines not the modern tubular.
    At what age should he start getting grass hay? For how long do I keep feeding him his grain ration?
    And what about any possible aggression?
    His sire was extremely easy going (he was here for servicing)
    I was never afraid of him he never made a threatening move tho I was always aware of where he was & never turned my back just to be sure. And Valentino has his soft eyes & temperament
    I've been handling him daily picking up feet, feeling his entire body etc.

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    He can be fed grass hay at anytime, it just doesn't have alot of nutrients in it, for growth.

Aggression..
    Yes.... being careful, when they are in rut ..or not is very smart....you never know... if they are going to get an attitude ....when you are around his does, most of them ..are OK with it , but there are ...those few... that were sweet growing up....and then turn mean during rut....some may return back to normal and some may not........Most are docile ..but beware...... there can be those very few... that you can't trust...
    It's good ...that you are working with him alot ...it does help ...keep aggression away.....and when they get really big ...you are able to... handle them ...for trimming ....worming and vaccinating....ect.. Good job.. :greengrin: :thumbup:

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks Pam especially on your last statement. Only time will tell...Im sorta banking on the fact that his sire was almost a pussycat. Ive heard it so many times that the lines help determine temperment, even down to LGDs.
    INOW if theres aggression in the blood know what Im saying? Then theres environamental factors such as never being handled.
    When the sire was picked up the owner asked me to hold onto his horns while he put the collar on. Sire didnt balk or even flinch. It blew me away.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is wonderful isn't it...which means ...he was worked with.... and has great temperament bloodlines... :thumb:

Your so welcome Nancy D........ :greengrin: ..your odds... are really excellent... for calm natured....I wouldn't worry ....just giving you heads up.... :wink: