Newbie breeding question

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by zoomom, Mar 18, 2010.

1. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    With all my animal experience, i have not seen too many actual breedings. So is this normal?

I borrowed a buck. He is fairly experienced. I recently purchased two does who are 4 yo and been bred before. Of course they had just been in heat (I think) right before i borrowed the buck. The signs weren't really apparent, esp since they are new to me, so i don't know their regular behavior, but they were peeing more, off their food a bit, alot more cuddly than they had been, and had some gooky stuff on their tails. Not much else in the way of signs.

I also have a 1 yo doe. She was dehorned on Monday, so i had her apart from the others. I put her back in the group pen today and she apparently is in heat b/c he bred her - I think. It was over so quick I could have blinked and missed it. I thought it would be take more time, maybe not as long as a dog, but not like chickens (on and off within seconds) I was working outside, so i saw him breed her twice more - but it was really fast all three times. Trying to figure out if she was actually bred, and if I should start counting, or wait a bit longer. I don't know if the speed is b/c she was trying to get away or not - she seemed flipped out about the whole thing at first, and kept going to the top of their log mountain to get away from him.

I also said my two older does were out of heat - but one of them is acting really flirty with the buck and almost standing for him. (then she turns around and rams him and runs away) I know people said something about a false heat so many days apart from the real one, but was it the first one that is the fake, or the second one? She actually seems to be showing more signs this time - tail wagging, slightly reddened vulva, and alot more 'talking'.

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Mark your calender Zoomom! Bucks can cover alot of territory in a matter of seconds. The gunk on tails is an added bonus for you.
    Congrats on babies coming!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    With those signs you are describing...it sounds like those does where in season before the buck arrived.... sometimes the first cycles are false heats or they don't take that 1st time around....sometimes it takes 3 cycles...

count ...18 days from when you noticed and be sure the buck is in pen then ... watch them daily ..until they are in standing heat....
    Does heat cycles are every 18 to 21 days....

When goats breed ...he will mount and like you said ...it is quick ...He is in "boom" and Out...if it is done correctly... you may see the doe hunch up.... and the buck will fling his head backwards and may even kinda fall over...

All the days...each day... she lets him mount her... write it down on the calender...

Then count your 18 to 21 days later...to see if she comes in season...if she doesn't...she should be bred... I also check on the next cycle after that.. as well.. to make sure................ if she doesn't come in...2 cycles... after that... then they have conceived..

First timers do run from the bucks...they don't know what he is doing and is scared and they run away.... when they are at standing heat then....she will stand for him.... but I have had some ...that I actually had to hold for the buck to breed .......they were so afraid of him....

it could be.. that she is not quite into standing heat... give her a day and she may be in..... or she may be just going out.... make sure ...you write it on the calender..... that she was acting this way whether or not ...you seen her being bred... She sounds like.. she may be in a real cycle now..... the buck will tell you.... :wink: Good luck... :greengrin:

4. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Just got to ask a question dont want to hijack the post. Do the does always hump up and the bucks throw their head back. Now Ive seen this happen with most of my does and bucks, but my nubian is bred she is uddering up and she didnt hump up. Then I had him with a doe the other day and he mounted a few times and she didnt hump up either. But days later she seemed to have Seamen dripping like you see after they are bred.

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I don't think they always do that. It has been amazing to me how easy they get pregnant. It's really tough to breed a nubian to a pygmy buck, but they sure have gotten it done. It can be really fast. The goo is the clue.

Jan

6. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Thanks for all the advice. This is so exciting. 5 months seems like forever though.

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Actually....the 5 months will FLY BY...It's the DAYS waiting for her to deliver that will take FOREVER! :hair: :wink:

8. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Im hoping the other two get bred around this time too, and i can coordinate all my sleepless nights.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That would be great....but you know that preggy does conspire against us doting owners right?

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    That last week will seem like an entire year, it last soooooo long.

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yeah, it only takes a second for the bucks to breed them. They usually have it unsheathed before they are even up on the doe a lot of times. It is so quick, that if you blink, you can miss it. I had three girls one time, and only saw him breed one of them. I thought the other two weren't bred. Guess who was wrong! They had just broken into the pen with him too! While I was rushing out the door to shoo the girls back in, he had already gotten the two. He must have done it as I was opening the back door, because I saw the girls break down the fence, and promptly went to get them back in again.