The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two of my three boer goats (we just bought them, already-bred, in February) just delivered their first babies in the last week. We got two sets of beautiful twins, totaling three girls and one little boy. We are planning to add the girls to the herd, and the boy is destined for the freezer.

I bought three Nubian sisters at the same time. My current thought is to use the buckling to breed these girls in late fall.

So, here are my two questions: (And this is probably a really silly one) Is there any "safe" way to allow the buckling to continue to be around the herd until breeding time? I can't imagine keeping him completely away from the others. My husband would laugh at this question - like what? - are you going to put a little pair of shorts on him every day?

Number two: Will NOT castrating him result in off-flavored meat?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
The buckling will eventually breed anything, that is in heat, including kid doelings and adults and you do not want that.
I pull boer bucklings at 2.5 months to 3 months old, leaving them out any longer, will be a issue.

If you feel sorry for him, you can always get a wether buddy.

Off flavored meat is a possibility, it all depends.

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
Yeah, you'll want to separate him when he's weaned. If you can fence him next to the does so he can still interact with them would be ideal. Having a buck or wether friend for him would be good as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts