Newbie from Maine!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by CheesePlease!, Sep 16, 2010.

1. CheesePlease!

CheesePlease! New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Maine
    Hello all!
    My name is Cassandra and Im new here and to goats. Next Saturday we are getting two twin Nigerian Dwarf girls who will be 8 weeks old. They will be the start of our small dairy farm.
    We are totally new at this and are learning as we go..making mistakes and learning!

My mother passed away and we (my boyfriend and I) take care of my lil brother who is 11. We also inherited the house w/ 3 acres of field. I finally was able to get the animals Ive wanted since I was a kid. We got to thinking and started up with the idea of raising goats for a small dairy farm and selling cheese to the local resturaunts down on the ocean and hitting the local farmers market.

We still have a long way to go.. we dont even have a barn up yet! But we are VERY excited about our two lil sweethearts who are arriving next Saturday. They will be 8 weeks old. They are not registered as dad was but mom wasn't. One thing i have concerns about is the twins have not been disbudded. Is this something I should do when I get them @ 8 weeks? Do vets do it this old?
    What are the pros and cons of having horns?

I am thrilled I have come across this forum and Im sure you all will see more of me now that Ive stumbled upon it.
    Thanks in advance!!
    Cassandra

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome to TGS Cassandra! :wave:

Sorry to hear about your loss :hug:

Your new babies will surely be well loved little girls with a young boy to help spoil them!

At 8 weeks, I personally would not reccomend having their horns removed....way too traumatic and stressful. I have a herd of horned goats so I may be a bit biased :oops:

One thing I will advise you on, do not play with their horns or their heads, ear scratches are ok as are chin rubs but do not play with their horns. All goats regardless of being horned or bald use their heads in defense or in play...you do not want to train them to play with you the way they would play with each other. Its certainly cute when they push against your hand as a baby but if you push back, they'll think its ok to do in return and you do not want an adult to "play" with you in that manner...so as I tell all my goat babie's parents, don't play with the horns! :wink:
    Also, with having horned goats comes having respect for those horns..fencing needs to be such that they cannot get their heads stuck and you also need to be a bit more careful when handling them to prevent an accidental hit or poke.I have 7 horned goats..1 buck 1 wether and 5 does, never have any of them been agressive towards me.
    I really hope your dream of starting a goat dairy works out...there is so much that goes into it, legally and financially that I wish you all the best in getting started :hug:

BTW....as I said, I'm biased when it comes to horned goats, there will be alot of input as to what you may or may not want to do with your girls, ask away, we are here to support, teach and learn....and laugh, as you'll soon find out goats are awesome at making a bad day better!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome :wave: glad to have you hear

Sounds like you have grand plans - very exciting

As to the horns -- disbudding is usually done by 4 weeks of age so at 8 weeks they are to old for this procedure. you could have them banded I hear this method works pretty well. I have not tried it personally.

Horns arent all that bad - I love the way they look but i dont like that they can be dangerous to be around. I have had horned goats before but never was a huge fan of working with the goats with horns. But as Liz said if you learn to respect the horns its not all that bad. Horns dont make a goat aggressive or mean but a goats defense is with using its head so teach them early that butting and ramming even in cute fun play is NOT acceptable and do not encourage it. Those horns will make it much more painful as they get bigger if you encourage head butting behavior (now they can do it to eachother thats ok, they have tough heads!) but horns are not all bad.

4. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I have boer goats so horns are aloud in show so we do not dehorn the 3 that I bought are all dehorned but the 2 young does are not. I personally like the horns and I also am a chicken and can't dehorn so all babies born here will keep there horns. That is the main reason we have boers. My nieces show them in 4-H and I dont have to worry about them having horns

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome.... we are happy you are here with us..... :wave: :greengrin: :thumb:

6. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Welcome to the group! Be sure to take pictures of your goaties when they arrive. They are a blast. I have 10 goats (9 with horns) and 2 sheep (1 with horns) Just like everyone says, don't play goat with a goat. One day they will win. :laugh: I have only been hit by accident (bruise on leg) they never use them on me, just each other....and the dog....a chicken that trys to eat out of the trough...one time the cat was setting on the hay...well, you get the idea. :greengrin:

Gina
    BTW, you can look me up on facebook if you want to see my guys. It's under Kristinn Klug [email protected]

7. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
  8. OurJourneysEnd

OurJourneysEnd New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Caro, MI
    Welcome! This forum is a wealth of information. It has probably been my most invaluable tool in the past year with my goats (proud owner for over a year now). I wish you the best of luck. :)

9. CheesePlease!

CheesePlease! New Member

Sep 16, 2010
    Maine
    Thank you all for the warm welcomes! I could spend all day reading all the posts on the forum..there is SO much information!! I am so glad I came across this site!

One more week and the twins will be here! Im trying to suck up as much info as I can!!

I need to figure out what to feed them...They will have pasture all day long and Ive read two different ideas as far as feeding grain or not (when they graze all day) ANy thoughts?
    But then again winter is coming....WHat extras will they need come cold weather?

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Plenty of good quality hay available freechoice...not too much pasture too fast, also...if the breeder does not supply you with info on what they are already eating as well as enough to transition them to a brand of grain you can get, please ask her...it's best for their bellies to have what they are used to for a few days.

Also...I do feed an 18% goat feed to my does in milk, kids and bucks...I personally feed kids grain til they are at least a year old, after that only if they need extra for continued growth or they will be in "production" mode.....my hayburners only get it as a treat on occassion and through the winter.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I agree with Liz :) :thumb: