Newbie from Maryland

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by sesa, May 14, 2009.

1. sesa

sesa New Member

May 14, 2009
    Maryland
    Howdy goat folks, I don't have any yet but my wife and I have settled on getting 2 LaManchas for milking and now that my son is home from college for the summer we can build the barn and put up the fencing. I'm sure that you all will tire of all the questions I'll be asking but please bear with me.
    Sid

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Welcome! :wave: We love to answer goatie questions! :wink:

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    well ....welcome Sid...... :wave: .... We welcome all .....your questions ....ask away............ :wink: :D

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome! And Runaround's soooo right! You ask all you want and you'll likely get even more than you bargained for! We love passing on info :greengrin:

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    :wave: Welcome from Western Washington. Don't worry about all of the questions. Everyone is always nice to me when I ask the same questions that have been asked for the millionth time :greengrin:

6. rkalgren

rkalgren New Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Falls Creek, PA
    Welcome from PA.

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    [​IMG] from Australia!

8. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Welcome from Holmes County, Ohio!

9. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Us tire of goat questions? Never!!! I say! :dance: Welcome BTW

10. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
  11. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    Sorry not allow to ask question :ROFL: Just Joken. Yes please ask questions. Lots of question we do mind. BTW Welcome from PA here and also welcome to your newest adiction. Word of warning the only thing we can not help you with is not getting more goats. We are all hopelessly adicted to goats.

12. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Hello!! welcome :wave:

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome Sid, :wave: So glad you joined us.

Oh the wonderful barn building. This is one of the fist summers I have NOT built on to my barn or put up a hay barn or something. HUMMM, I do not know what I going to do with myself. :ROFL: OH I will find something to do I am sure.

14. sesa

sesa New Member

May 14, 2009
    Maryland
    Hi again!!
    This is Lisa, Sid's wife!! I have a question for you all. I changed my mind and want to get 1 milking goat and a goat to shear. What is the best way to go with that - cashmere, angora, etc.. HELP!!

lol Thanks all!!

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I am not real up on my fiber goats but I do know that cashmere you have to comb their cashmere out when they start to blow it while angora you do shear. I will let the fiber people give you more info on that though.

if you dont get to many responses here do post a topic in the Fuzzy Fiber section with your questions :greengrin:

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Hello Lisa,

Stacey said it right. The Cashmere goats you do not have to sheer, and that is why I went with them. The Angora goats you have to sheer them twice a year, and unless you are good at sheer, it is best to hire someone, and for me that was another expense I did not want. Cashmere you just get like a dog under coat comb and comb them out. it is great bonding time.

17. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Welcome from Southern Pa( not far from the maryland line). Good luck with your goat quest- and good louck sticking to 2 :ROFL: Thats what I started with and now have 20.